Solved

Can I end my trip halfway or change my destination afterwards ?

• 20 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there!

I'm planning to go on a trip through Germany in a couple of weeks. It’ll be my first time using Interrail, so I want to ask about a few things to ensure that my trips goes as smooth as possible. ;)

So I'm going to assume that I'll be traveling with a Mobile Ticket (though the paper version probably isn't that much different in this case). As how I understand it, I need to fill in the trainstation where I'm departing from and the destination I'll be travelling to. The app will generate a code/ticket which I can show to a ticket inspector (this also works without internet, right?). Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Now my main question: may I leave a train earlier than I wrote down in the app? Example: I'm in Hamburg and want to take a train to Kassel, so that's what I'll write down in the app. However, halfway on my journey I change my mind and want to stop at Hannover (where that same train makes a stop too). Will I be able to change my destination from Kassel to Hannover afterwards, or will this cause any trouble?

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could clear my mind on this! I do have a direction in mind where I want to go in Germany, but I want to leave open which route I'll take and where I'll stop. This will however put me in a position where I sometimes want to hop off or change trains earlier than anticipated. I assume this won't be possible on trains where a reservation is required, but will it be a problem on local trains?

Thank you for your answer(s) in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 20 July 2021, 13:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So I'm going to assume that I'll be traveling with a Mobile Ticket (though the paper version probably isn't that much different in this case).

As how I understand it, I need to fill in the trainstation where I'm departing from and the destination I'll be travelling to. The app will generate a code/ticket which I can show to a ticket inspector (this also works without internet, right?). Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Now my main question: may I leave a train earlier than I wrote down in the app? Example: I'm in Hamburg and want to take a train to Kassel, so that's what I'll write down in the app. However, halfway on my journey I change my mind and want to stop at Hannover (where that same train makes a stop too). Will I be able to change my destination from Kassel to Hannover afterwards, or will this cause any trouble?

I see you're from the Netherlands: paper passes are only available from Amsterdam Central and Schiphol station, or by mail order from interrail.eu.

You have to create a “Trip” (which can still be empty) to activate your pass. To be able to travel, you need to add a journey (with one or multiple trains) to that trip and then to your pass. After having added a journey to your pass on a given day, you can show your ticket in the app as 2D barcode. You don't need internet to add a journey to your pass or to show the barcode.

If you have a Flex pass, then you'll have to activate a travel day each time you start a new one; IIRC the app will ask you if you want to activate a travel day so if you're adding a journey to your pass for a new day.

You need internet to activate your pass and to activate a travel day on a flex pass. Other than that, you need to connect to internet every 72 hours. This can be via 4G or wifi or whatever.

It's no problem to leave a train earlier than planned, included if you're leaving a train you had an obligatory reservation for. Just add the next train as usual and hop on. If your next train requires a reservation, then it's usually a good idea to get it from the local ticket office to avoid the extra fee that Interrail charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Couldn´t answer it better as @rvdborgt  :)

@René  wish you a nice trip :grinning: maybe iam driving you through Germany on some parts :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Me neither @seewulf :smile: Spot on @rvdborgt!