Solved

DB train(booked using Eurail Pass) delay/cancellation certification

• 24 November 2022
  • 9 replies

I'm trying to claim my travel insurance for DB trains delay/cancellation. However the insurance company requested a certificate issued by the train company to prove that my train was literally cancelled/delayed. I didn’t ask them for the certificate when I was in the train station and am leaving Europe very soon.

I only screen caped my Eurail pass itineraries and the mobile tickets (original itinerary and the new one due to original train cancellation/delay). How can I ask for the delay/cancellation certificate from DB? Or will Eurail issue me one since I booked my trains through their app.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 November 2022, 15:59

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Eurail won't issue any certificates.

DB should be able to give you a confirmation, since they're the operator.

Just out of interest: what do you want to claim from the insurance? DB would have had to organise things like overnight accommodation (if you got stranded), replacement transport etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just out of interest: what do you want to claim from the insurance? DB would have had to organise things like overnight accommodation (if you got stranded), replacement transport etc.

As additional points, you will probably have an excess on your insurance which would wipe out any small claim and since Interrail have a delay policy, albeit only a part of a day’s pass cost, and DB are responsible for out of pocket expenses I suspect your insurance company will decline your claim unless Dbahn refuse your claim.

Hey thanks. Do you know how can I reach DB for the certificate? I missed my connecting train from Amsterdam to London due to DB train delay and thereby stayed overnight in Amsterdam. So I am trying to get my hotel cost back. I’m not sure if DB will compensate the accommodation for me so I am thinking about maybe I can try to get the money back from my travel insurance.

As additional points, you will probably have an excess on your insurance which would wipe out any small claim and since Interrail have a delay policy, albeit only a part of a day’s pass cost, and DB are responsible for out of pocket expenses I suspect your insurance company will decline your claim unless Dbahn refuse your claim.

Thanks Yorkie. I see your point. I never claimed any insurance before so don’t really know about the policies and rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey thanks. Do you know how can I reach DB for the certificate? I missed my connecting train from Amsterdam to London due to DB train delay and thereby stayed overnight in Amsterdam. So I am trying to get my hotel cost back. I’m not sure if DB will compensate the accommodation for me so I am thinking about maybe I can try to get the money back from my travel insurance.

Try customer service:

https://www.bahn.com/en/contact/complaint-journey

This is about this case, right?

Since you got stranded in the Netherlands, the operator there was responsible to organise accommodation. That was NS (Dutch railways). You can contact their international department's customer service here:

https://support-en.nsinternational.com/app/webflow/vraag

Be warned though that they have a backlog of several months so it can take some time before you get a response other than a confirmation that they've received your complaint.

Also be warned that the policy in the Netherlands is that NS should organise this, since their customer service operates 24/7. They'll only reimburse if you have a credible story that you could not get any assistance on the spot, or if assistance was refused. What did NS offer when you were stranded?

Try customer service:

https://www.bahn.com/en/contact/complaint-journey

This is about this case, right?

Since you got stranded in the Netherlands, the operator there was responsible to organise accommodation. That was NS (Dutch railways). You can contact their international department's customer service here:

https://support-en.nsinternational.com/app/webflow/vraag

Be warned though that they have a backlog of several months so it can take some time before you get a response other than a confirmation that they've received your complaint.

Also be warned that the policy in the Netherlands is that NS should organise this, since their customer service operates 24/7. They'll only reimburse if you have a credible story that you could not get any assistance on the spot, or if assistance was refused. What did NS offer when you were stranded?

Thank you so much for the information. Yes the post you forwarded is the case. At the time I was notified that the direct train from Hannover to Amsterdam Centraal was cancelled (I was at the Hannover station at that time), the only thing I got from them, I believe it’s DB was an A4 printed train transfer guidance which shows me that I have to change the trains for three more times to get to Amsterdam Centraal, and that the only way I could get there. I didn’t ask for anything after arrived in Amsterdam since it was already late night and I had to get a rest so that I could catch the earliest train back to London the next day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey Joey. Do be aware that what travel-insurance covers may be very, very different between 2 countries-Yorkie is from GB and will not know what HKG usually covers. I myself have worked (from NL) for such insurance (also for ASEAN and HKG area) so I think I still know a little more (myself in pension already now)

Also as I wrote before: you got stranded in NL/AMS and then NS=the dutch railways, are responsible, there is not much DB=german can do there. NS-INTERNat is very hard to handle, will in 1st instance deny anything and also has a backlog-due to giant staff shortages-of many monthes.

There should be a site where all recorded train delays+cancellations etc are in per country, For Germany I only know of listings on a rail-forum ICE-treff.de, but I think others know more/better.

Also: as has been said before, this routing via AMS is not the shortest and you might have been able to catch that €* via the shorter KÖln-Brussel route. There have been-due to a nasty traincrash just east of Hannover-many delays etc on that german sector-to the extent that DB even advises to postpone all trips-and there is also a clause that if this had been announced there is less opportunity to claim.

I hope the best for you, but somehow I suspect result may be disappointing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NS-INTERNat is very hard to handle, will in 1st instance deny anything and also has a backlog-due to giant staff shortages-of many monthes.

NS is indeed not the greatest to handle these situations but it usually pays off to be persistent and not take any reply for granted.

There have been-due to a nasty traincrash just east of Hannover-many delays etc on that german sector-to the extent that DB even advises to postpone all trips-and there is also a clause that if this had been announced there is less opportunity to claim.

The journey was 4 days after the crash. If the passes were bought before that, and certainly if any reservations were made before that, then you're entitled to assistance and compensation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey Joey. Do be aware that what travel-insurance covers may be very, very different between 2 countries-Yorkie is from GB and will not know what HKG usually covers. I myself have worked (from NL) for such insurance (also for ASEAN and HKG area) so I think I still know a little more (myself in pension already now)

Dear Mcadv.

If you read my original post in depth before replying,

(As additional points, you will probably have an excess on your insurance which would wipe out any small claim and since Interrail have a delay policy, albeit only a part of a day’s pass cost, and DB are responsible for out of pocket expenses I suspect your insurance company will decline your claim unless Dbahn refuse your claim.)

you may have seen that I was merely advising the OP to check whether he was wasting time on claiming from his insurance because his chances of a successful payment may be low. 

I would bow to your extensive experience but for your final line - I hope the best for you, but somehow I suspect result may be disappointing, - which merely confirms my post and adds a couple of extra points for the OP to consider.

I admit I did assume that insurance companies the world over operated a policy of minimising payments, especially where there was a viable alternative (The train operator).