Did not want the PLUS

• 4 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi

I have just ordered 4 passes and having checked out realised that I have had plus added to my order which I did not want - is there a way of getting this refunded?

Thanks for any help

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Only one that can answer this is Customer Service https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001 but i doubt that they will refund it :/ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN the EU-but you have chosen to be out of it- there are some specific rules giving you the right to cancel such online orders within 24 hrs after sale with full refund, but even then I highly doubt this would apply to these add-ons only.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

IN the EU-but you have chosen to be out of it- there are some specific rules giving you the right to cancel such online orders within 24 hrs after sale with full refund, but even then I highly doubt this would apply to these add-ons only.

The EU consumer protection legislation explicitly does not apply to train tickets, so that doesn't make any difference.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

I do think it is however somewhat misleading that it is added by default. Let us know what customer service replies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK there is also legislation that forbids adding optional items automatically. We've said that a few times to Eurail but they didn't want to listen. So the best is indeed to contact customer service to object to the optional items they made you pay for.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Jo Smith 

Unfortunately, the Plus option is not refundable, not even in exceptional refunds or exchanges. Customers are responsible for carefully reading the order summary, which clearly states the price for the Plus option.

AFAIK there is also legislation that forbids adding optional items automatically. We've said that a few times to Eurail but they didn't want to listen. So the best is indeed to contact customer service to object to the optional items they made you pay for.

Dear @rvdborgt 

I understand what you mean. Do you have any official website, where we can verify this? I could not find anything. If so, I would forward this immediately to the website department. 

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Dear @rvdborgt 

I understand what you mean. Do you have any official website, where we can verify this? I could not find anything. If so, I would forward this immediately to the website department. 

I'll check and get back to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It seems Interrail may be exempt from the requirement. In the UK one of the exemptions for many, but not all, of the rules on distance and online selling is the item must be over £42 (50 euro?).

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Exceptions

These rules do not apply to:

• goods and services worth £42 or less
  • NHS prescriptions and treatment (free and paid for)
  • financial services, for example pensions, mortgages, credit
  • the construction of new buildings (but not extensions)
  • food and drink supplied regularly (like milkmen)
  • gambling
  • package holidays, timeshares and holiday clubs
  • contracts to let a property the customer will live in, for example renting a house or flat (although they do apply to estate agents’ marketing services)
  • goods bought from a vending machine
  • using a payphone or paying to use an internet connection (for example, at an internet café)
  • bus, train, flight and other tickets for passenger travel
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Jo Smith 

Unfortunately, the Plus option is not refundable, not even in exceptional refunds or exchanges. Customers are responsible for carefully reading the order summary, which clearly states the price for the Plus option.

Dear @rvdborgt 

I've also looked into this as adding plus by default does not seem very correct. The Dutch market regulator in its rules for internet sales, states the following rules of what you should not do in order to avoid customers buy things they don't want (as the author of this post states). 

https://www.acm.nl/nl/onderwerpen/verkoop-aan-consumenten/verkopen-aan-consumenten/checklist-verkoop-via-internet

Translated: "3. There are no options selected by default for which your customers have to pay extra."

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Jo Smith 

Dear @rvdborgt 

I've also looked into this as adding plus by default does not seem very correct. The Dutch market regulator in its rules for internet sales, states the following rules of what you should not do in order to avoid customers buy things they don't want (as the author of this post states). 

https://www.acm.nl/nl/onderwerpen/verkoop-aan-consumenten/verkopen-aan-consumenten/checklist-verkoop-via-internet

Translated: "3. There are no options selected by default for which your customers have to pay extra."

Hi @Schelte 

Thank you for the research done! I have flagged this to my superiors. I will keep you guys updated. 

Have a nice day!