Solved

DiscoverEU; I'm from Sicily, can I fly to continental Europe with my pass?

• 11 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello!

If I start my Interrail Trip from Sicily, given it's an island and it would require more than 18 hours to go from Palermo (my city) to any other EU country by trains/ferries, will a plane from Palermo to another EU country be included in the Pass?

And if so, how do I book a flight using the Pass? 'Cause I've already downloaded the Rail Planner App, but it only gives me the possibility to book trains and by-land-transports, even though Palermo is the starting point...

I'd really appreciate your help, thank you!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 June 2022, 13:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Interrail doesn´t cover any flights :/
If you won a pass via Discover Eu you may get a Flight paid by them but for that you have to ask the Discover EU Project and not Interrail as they 2 different organisations.

Easiestway one travelday solution from Palermo out of Italy was to take a early Intercity to Rome and then the Nighttrain to Vienna or Munich.

The fact is I'm having a lots of trouble trying to contact both Discover EU and Interrail so I didn't know where to ask for some informations anymore 👉👈

Theoretically both Discover EU and Interrail websites talk about those who, like me, have to start their trip from a place that is not connected to the rest of Europe via train, and they both say that in these cases a flight could be included in the pass. But at the end in the app there's no way to select this option soo I don't know what to do.

Anyways, thank you for the answer, I will try again and contact Discover EU

Sofia :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The fact is I'm having a lots of trouble trying to contact both Discover EU and Interrail so I didn't know where to ask for some informations anymore 👉👈

Theoretically both Discover EU and Interrail websites talk about those who, like me, have to start their trip from a place that is not connected to the rest of Europe via train, and they both say that in these cases a flight could be included in the pass.

Where does Interrail say that Flights are included? Interrail just say you could take your Homecountry travelday´s to get to the Airport to catch a Flight. But not use Interrail on a flight :)

You´ve got with your information you won a Discover EU a Contact Email :)
Another option is to ask in the Offical Discover EU Facebook Group as there are few Members of the DiscoverEU Team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR just bite the bullet and do not moan about spending a blue € note. Just by chance I´ve also booked a flite-RYAN- in IT from north to south (yes, that airpt that says its Plm-but seems still some 50 mins on the treni away) for less as a blue note. Big luggage comes extra. WIZZair is also trying to take hold of the big IT market now that Alitalia is effectively finally dead under its huge losses. A 20 is less as you would need to pay for a sleeper surcharge with a pass.

This rule from Disc EU´ is mainly aimed at those who live f.e. on Malta, Cyprus or Canarias. Sicily has treni, but indeed it does take a long time before you´re out of la bella Italia. Finland and Portugal have the same situation-and they have even much, much worse train connections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you need more than 18 hours to the border you get the plain paid by DiscoverEU, but you have to give that information to the team. 

Frequently Asked Questions | European Youth Portal (europa.eu)

When participants have to travel more than 18 hours in order to cross the closest border of their country of residence;

Maybe on the #DiscoverEU App (wich is the same to Railplanner, and there you show also your Interrail) has some extra informations. 

Same also for DiscoverEU participants that want to visit Malta or other places like Cyprus or Oversee Territories.