Solved

Do we qualify to use Interrail

• 20 February 2023
  • 5 replies

We are a US Military family living in England for 3.5 years. We have been here for 2 years. England is our only residence. We have orders from the US Military showing our relocation to England. We have a document from the Ministry of Defence stating that England is our current residence. Will these documents serve as enough legal proof that we currently reside in England? Does this mean we qualify to purchase and use Interrail Global Passes? “Someone” may have gotten excited and purchased the anniversary sale tickets offered last Sommer. I’m really hoping the answer is yes. 

Thank you for any clarity. 

icon

Best answer by Lancaster.dede 21 February 2023, 19:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As long as you have a proof that you live in the UK, I'd say it's no problem.

But we'll wait for someone that knows better to confirm

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The rules of condition say this:

“If you are not a European citizen, but you are an official resident of Europe, you can also choose to use an Interrail Pass. We ask for your country of residence when you order, so you will need to bring an official European residency card or document along with you that matches the country of residence written on your Interrail Pass. Check our booking conditions (Article 5) to see if your country of residence is eligible for an Interrail Pass.”

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/do-i-need-a-eurail-or-an-interrail-pass

As you’re officially residing in the UK, no problem to use the interrail pass.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you both for your reply! I have booked the trip around France. I’m happy my lucky, impulse purchase last summer is going to be usable. 

Cheers!

Denise

Hello all who replied and future US military train travelers stationed overseas in Europe/UK!

I got an official reply back from the ticketing agents and, sadly, it is a no go. I will have to purchase another set of tickets as Eurorail tickets. Here is a copy of the email reply: 

Unfortunately, military orders are not considered as proof of residency. 

To be eligible for an Interrail Pass with the UK as your stated residency, you require a valid ID which could be: TIER 1,2,3,4 visa / Ancestry visa / Certificate of Right of Abode / BRD Biometric Residence Permit. If you do obtain either of the mentioned documents, you are eligible for an Interrail Pass. 

However, if you are unable to provide any of these documents, you can purchase an Eurail Pass. Please kindly note, with an Eurail Pass you are not restricted in your travels. Whereas, with an Interrail Global Pass, you can only use the Pass in your own country during two travel days of your choice for one outbound trip (leaving your own country) and one inbound trip (entering your own country).

You can take as many trains as necessary to complete these journeys, but you are not allowed to make any extra trips within your own country. You can also use them in the order you prefer (that is, you may use the inbound trip before using the outbound one if that better suits your travel plans). You can read this page for more details.

We hope to have informed you sufficiently, and should you have additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us once more. We will be happy to further assist.

Best regards,

Zalikha
Customer service team
Eurail BV

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Anyway, with Eurail you get to enjoy UK trainsuch more too, as you are not restricted to two in/outbound days. As prices can be ridiculously expensive in the UK, it'll give you as much, perhaps even more, enjoyment as an Interrail.