Skip to main content
Solved

Eurail

Hello,

I have a Eurail Global Pass to visit 10 city, start in Spain on 09/21/24 and them Barcelone, Rome, Florence, Venice, Viena, Amsterdam, Brussels, London to finish in Paris.

In this moment I live in Paris but I will travel by plaine to Spain because by train is so far.

I would like to planning my trip because some train types required to buy a seat reservation before you jump aboard for exemple Eurostar…

My question : Do I have to validate the pass before to book the seat reservation in this moment since my trip will start in September?

Many thanks for your advise,

Best Regards,

Ximena

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Reservations and pass are totally separate.

Have a look at this guide to book reservations in advance : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Eurail website adds 2€ fee per person per train so it's best to avoid it.

You might be too early for September depending on the route/company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can make reservations without activating the pass, even without buying it.

Look a carefully at the reservation costs in the link @thibcabe gave. France, Spain, Italy, and the Eurostar all have quite high reservation costs. Assume roughly €10-20 per train for a domestic journey, and €30 for an international journey.

You might consider buying tickets instead for the first part of your trip Spain > France > Italy. Consider a pass Italy > Germany > NL > Belgium. And look at cash prices on Eurostar to / from London compared with €30 each way reservation fee.

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply,

I have another question how I do to receive a Pass tickets paper???

Best regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you bought a paper pass? You should have an email from Eurail which tells you when to expect delivery.

Hello,

My trip comming soon,

Can I valid my ticket before or do I have to do the day that I will travel??

Many thank for you kindly reply,

Best regard,

Ximena

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is the information given by Eurail. 

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/already-bought-pass/how-do-i-activate-my-eurail-pass

Hello,

Many thanks for you kindly reply.

I have another question. I bought a pass for 10 destinations but I am not sure if all are include.

I will start in Septembre 23,

Rome to Florence - 1

Florence to Venice - 2 

Venice to Viena - 3

Viena to Amsterdam - 4

Amsterdam - Brussels - 5

Brussels to Bruges - 6

Bruges to London - 7

London - Paris - 8

Could you please confirm this plan is correct ??Wheater is fine I have two destination that I can use for exemple Paris-Marseille 1 and Marseille -Paris 2.

Many thanks

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes all these routes are included, don't worry about that. 99% of European trains are covered, only exceptions are touristy mountain peaks and so on.

Don't forget to book seat reservations whenever required. Some routes sell out earlier than others: Eurostar and night trains especially.

Have a read at

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello

You could avoid to use a day between Brussels and Bruges, you would have a day more in France or in another country for a longer trip.

Between Amsterdam and Brussels, take an Intercity train without mandatory reservation and not the Eurostar.

Kind regards

Hello,

Many thank for your reply.

Now I have another question. I try to planifie my trip at the application phone and I can see only two reservation Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice, I try many time to add the others trip and not result.

Venice to Viena 

Viena to Amsterdam 

Amsterdam to Brussels

Brussels to London

London to Paris

Paris to Marseille 

Marseille to Paris

Could you please help me,

Many thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello,

I don’t understand what do you mean. In the Rail Planner you must define a trip only to activate the pass, the days of travel and show the tickets. Seat reservations are never available in this app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@FLORES I made a test and I had no problem to add some of your planned connections: