Solved

Eurail Pass - reservations essential?

• 16 April 2023
  • 4 replies

I have bought a 7-day Eurail pass for June-July travel in Italy-Switzerland. The pass does not apply to local/regional trains but question I have is

1.  when it is stated Reservations are needed - is this just for a seat - or can the Eurail pass still be used e.g. standing room where accepted without that reservation?

eg. travel Rome Airport station to Roma Tiburtina on 26 June 2023

Other question is

1. No seat reservation is available anyway for above travel on Eurail search engine- is this because it is too early being now 16th April trying to book for 26/6/23? I read somewhere timetables become enfixed 2 months in advance?
icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 16 April 2023, 06:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If reservation is mandatory, then you must have a reservation. You are not allow to board without. However, the summer timetable (from 11 June) is far from complete yet. There are lots of other trains that do not require a reservation. Check the timetable on a similar day before 11 June.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can use it on f.e. SBB, RHB, BLS, SOB, Thurbo local trains in Switzerland your pass and long distance trains. In Switzerland except some tourist trains like Glacier Express, reservations are optional.

In Italy you can use all local trains of Trenitalia, Trenitalia TPER, Micotra and Trenord and long distance trains of Trenitalia. Malpensa Express not included and Leonardo express to Rome Fiumicino Airport is only included for 1st class pass. In Rome you can use local trains to Roma Tiburtina instead. IC and Frecciarossa have mandatory reservations.

Thank you rvdborgt I am new to the Forum so will seek to follow best practice ie Ask Question - not message thank you

Thank you Angelo for your comprehensive knowledge~!