Solved

Exchange second class pass for first class pass

Hi there,

me and my boyfriend are travelling from Germany to England on August 12th and come back August 17th.

I bought a second class global pass but there are no Eurostar seats available anymore. On the Eurostar website it shows that there are first class seats available still.

Can I exchange my second class pass for a first class pass in order to book a first class reservation?

Or do I need to get a refund for my current pass and then buy a first class pass.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 4 August 2022, 14:44

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The Eurostar website https://www.eurostar.com does not show availability of Interrail pass bookings, as they do not provide a booking service for passholders.

Only Standard Premier is available for passholders, Business Premier is not.

You need to check either interrail booking service or https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish for passholder availability.

Exchanging your pass depends on the conditions when you bought it, refer to the e-mail or order receipt that was sent.

Details on exchange terms are here. https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/ordering-info/refund-exchange-policy

You need to check either interrail booking service or https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish for passholder availability.

The b-europe website tells me that there is no Eurostar available for the date I chose. But the interrail website does not show me if there are first class seats available so how do I know if I need to get a first class pass?

I’m sorry but I am devastated right now as I don’t know what to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is a limited number of pass holder seats on the Eurostar and on popular departures and during high season those sell out weeks, and sometimes months in advance.

The best place to see the availability of passholder seats on the Eurostar is 

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Press "later trains" and eventually you will find the next available connection.  To look for the 1st class seats you need to select that you have 1st class Interrail pass when making the search.

If you have a mobile pass you need to generate a Pass Cover Number in order to make the reservation at b-europe. You do that here in the PCN generator:

https://community.eurail.com/news-and-announcements-39/pass-cover-number-generator-is-live-5653

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The b-europe website tells me that there is no Eurostar available for the date I chose. But the interrail website does not show me if there are first class seats available so how do I know if I need to get a first class pass?

I am seeing availability on b-europe from Brussels on 12 Aug on the 18.52 and 20.56 departures in both 1st and 2nd class.

On 17 Aug I see no availability to Brussels but 1st class only on late afternoon 16.31, 18.01, 19.01 From London to Paris. Probably too late to get you home that night though.

If you want an alternative there is the Stena ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, overnight with a cabin.

I am seeing availability on b-europe from Brussels on 12 Aug on the 18.52 and 20.56 departures in both 1st and 2nd class.

On 17 Aug I see no availability to Brussels but 1st class only on late afternoon 16.31, 18.01, 19.01 From London to Paris. Probably too late to get you home that night though.

If you want an alternative there is the Stena ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, overnight with a cabin.

First of all, thank you so much for your help. 

If the b-Europe website says there are seats available, why can’t I book them on Interrail? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If the b-Europe website says there are seats available, why can’t I book them on Interrail? 

Possibly because it knows you have a 2nd class pass so doesn’t show 1st class availability, if not that then I don’t know, I avoid using the interrail booking as much as possible.

Just book on b-europe. You will need a pass cover number (any will do, it doesn’t get printed on the reservation so not tied to a specific pass)

get that here: https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations#/generatePassCoverNumber or if that doesn’t work use I11111111

Possibly because it knows you have a 2nd class pass so doesn’t show 1st class availability, if not that then I don’t know, I avoid using the interrail booking as much as possible.

Just book on b-europe. You will need a pass cover number (any will do, it doesn’t get printed on the reservation so not tied to a specific pass)

get that here: https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations#/generatePassCoverNumber or if that doesn’t work use I11111111

Right, okay. So I have to pay the full price on b-europe or will there be a discount because I have an Interrail pass? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On B-rail you can book for passholders special price,IF in the quota-and for a 4€ extra fee. Comes instantly via mail. From BRU that should be 30+4 for 2nd.

I guess these dates are still open as the days after are big STRIKEs on trains in UK-so you get probably stuck in London-and there is even the tiny chance that it may also involve the €*-sometimes it is not the staff on the train, but those who regulate all the traffic. Maybe you are lucky-but if not, you have been warned.

On B-rail you can book for passholders special price,IF in the quota-and for a 4€ extra fee. Comes instantly via mail. From BRU that should be 30+4 for 2nd.

I guess these dates are still open as the days after are big STRIKEs on trains in UK-so you get probably stuck in London-and there is even the tiny chance that it may also involve the €*-sometimes it is not the staff on the train, but those who regulate all the traffic. Maybe you are lucky-but if not, you have been warned.

Well B-Europe says the first class tickets are at least 300€ . So are those the final prices or will there be an Interrail discount? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Right, okay. So I have to pay the full price on b-europe or will there be a discount because I have an Interrail pass? 

The link I provided earlier is to the section of b-europe that is only for interrail passholder bookings. Price is the same as interrail website, it will be €30 2nd class/€38 1st class per trip per person with a booking fee of €4

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just a pragmatic thought:

Does converting to first class plus the costs of reservations on E* each way cost less than a couple of cheap return flights? 

Just a pragmatic thought:

Does converting to first class plus the costs of reservations on E* each way cost less than a couple of cheap return flights? 

Yeah, flights are at least 300€ 🥲 a direct flight to my home town is 500€

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Or a cross channel ferry ? Interrail were suggesting P an O Calais - Dover on their home page

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Cheapest ALT at very short notice to cross channel is always the BUS (coach for Brits) Flix or BlaBla. Well-in 99,95% of cases. Will take much longer-it goes via the ferry, in the past occasioanly if busy times also via chunnel train.

Next comes an overnite trip-as the direct channel ferries as for now do not take any only on foot pax: on a boat/ferry: best to try is likely Stena Harwich-Hook of Hld.

The elsewhere proclaimed sneeky way to still use the Calais ferry is to get a 2nd hand bike-you will also need it in FR as there is-as there are no footpax- NO bus port to station-and thats quite a distance and hard to find (this only as passing on from other reads-no own experience with this)

But even flites-in off-season often to be had for less as this 30€ surcharge-but to other lesser known airports-there will be extra cost to reach nearest trainstation from there too, there will be an odd flite to somewhere ´on the continent´ for less as 100. Try that awful Ryan or WIZZair (the Ryan of East-EUR)-then use the saved out passday for the trip from their port to home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cheapest ALT at very short notice to cross channel is always the BUS (coach for Brits) Flix or BlaBla. Well-in 99,95% of cases. Will take much longer-it goes via the ferry, in the past occasioanly if busy times also via chunnel train.

Next comes an overnite trip-as the direct channel ferries as for now do not take any only on foot pax: on a boat/ferry: best to try is likely Stena Harwich-Hook of Hld.

The elsewhere proclaimed sneeky way to still use the Calais ferry is to get a 2nd hand bike-you will also need it in FR as there is-as there are no footpax- NO bus port to station-and thats quite a distance and hard to find (this only as passing on from other reads-no own experience with this)

But even flites-in off-season often to be had for less as this 30€ surcharge-but to other lesser known airports-there will be extra cost to reach nearest trainstation from there too, there will be an odd flite to somewhere ´on the continent´ for less as 100. Try that awful Ryan or WIZZair (the Ryan of East-EUR)-then use the saved out passday for the trip from their port to home.

Always remembering you have 2 Interrail days to travel from your home to airport/ferry and on same days you can travel in UK on IR pass so potentially no costs other than airfare/ferry fare

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Also keep in mind UK train strike on Aug 13. Trains start stopping earlier on the 12th and restarting on the 14 will be erratic at best

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For any future travellers: P&O on Calais - Dover accept foot passengers on a number of their sailings despite @mcadv's claims above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For any future travellers: P&O on Calais - Dover accept foot passengers on a number of their sailings despite @mcadv's claims above.

As does the daily crossing from Rotterdam to Hull.