First class or Second class pass?

• 12 October 2021
  • 11 replies

I’m looking into booking my interrail pass for next year and as I’ve never done it before I’m not sure wether to buy a first or second class pass. Are their any major differences between the two and is paying the extra money for first class worth it?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It depends which Countries you visit and which trains you take.

From a included complimentary Drink and Meal in for example UK to just more legroom in a Regionaltrain in Germany :D

In few countries you get “Lounge Access” with the 1st Class Pass but don´t compare them with Airport Lounges :D

Usually in 2nd Class you have 2+2 Seating and in 1st Class a 1+2 seating.

Countries where the 1st Class Pass worths the money in my experience is UK,Sweden,Austria,Switzerland, Germany (due the panoramic 1st Class coach on the EC8,EC9 in the Rhine Valley :D )

Badge

Countries where the 1st Class Pass worths the money in my experience is UK,Sweden,Austria,Switzerland, Germany (due the panoramic 1st Class coach on the EC8,EC9 in the Rhine Valley 😃 )

Seewulf, I have a first class pass and am on Bahn.de and although I can see how I can buy just a reservation, I’m struggling to see how I can select a carriage and seat to ensure that we get in the panoramic carriage on EC8. Can you please help? I must be missing something….

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Seewulf, I have a first class pass and am on Bahn.de and although I can see how I can buy just a reservation, I’m struggling to see how I can select a carriage and seat to ensure that we get in the panoramic carriage on EC8. Can you please help? I must be missing something….

Coach number 263 is the panoramic coach (in both trains), so make sure you book in that one, after clicking on "Select seat”.

Badge

Coach number 263 is the panoramic coach (in both trains), so make sure you book in that one, after clicking on "Select seat”.

I can't find the select seat button/ link! Please help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I can't find the select seat button/ link! Please help :)

Where are you booking on bahn.de or the App DB Navigator? For which date are you trying to book?

Badge

On Bahn.de. for 18 March 23. I just tried on the app and I can't see how to book only reservations on there at all. But maybe I need some more sleep! Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the app, do as if you want to buy a normal ticket and at some point there will be a button to buy a reservations only.

On the website, you click on "Seat only” to begin with, then continue to the screen where you can select your preferences (Compartment type / Location of the seat / Zone) and then click on Proceed. There you will see something like this:

Click on "Select seat” at the top right and then select coach 263.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In the app, do as if you want to buy a normal ticket and at some point there will be a button to buy a reservations only.

On the website, you click on "Seat only” to begin with, then continue to the screen where you can select your preferences (Compartment type / Location of the seat / Zone) and then click on Proceed. There you will see something like this:

Click on "Select seat” at the top right and then select coach 263.

@rvdborgt  currently not possible for the date on that @Jac  wanna go. 
Reasons several works are sheduled and it´s not clear which train set will be used :/  e.g. the train goes from Koblenz via Bonn Beuel (not Bonn Hbf) and Köln Messe/Deutz (not Köln Hbf / Köln Deutz to Hbf is just one stop with regionaltrain or S-Bahn across the Hohenzollernbrücke) and finally works in the Area of Hamburg. 
In November it was similar and the train took from Dortmund a different Route via Bielefeld and Hannover to Hamburg. But till yet there is no final decision. 

@Jac  you may wait a bit more usually you can reserve specific seats when the train configuration is “confirmed” this happens usually atleast 6-8weeks in advance.

Badge

Thank you both, for your help. I will make a note to check again 8 and 6 weeks prior. Really appreciate your speedy responses. 

Badge

For anyone who sees this… You can now make seat reservations on the EC8 in coach 263 for 18 March 23. You do have to change trains for the last few minutes to Cologne’s main station. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I too am struggling with this. Last Summer we had 1st class passes and in some cases it was great, in others we ended up in second class anyway (like in night trains and some reservations). Hard to decide. 

One thing to consider is that in some countries with obligatory reservation, reserving a first class seat will cost you more than a second class seat. (You can check this in the app for where you want to travel - you don’t always need a reservation and in some countries it costs the same regardless of class). So the price difference can be larger than just the initial cost, or you might end up in second class because of this. On the other hand, having a 1st class pass might save your day if that’s the only seat available… 

In Germany, Austria, Switzerland at least, the first class is worth the money.