Solved

From 31 Jan 2023 turn off NFC if you travel in the Netherlands on a mobile pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi,

from 31 Jan 2023 NS the national operator in the Netherlands will have the possibility to travel with Credit Cards with the train only using the credit card as a ticket like tap and go in cities like London for the underground. 

If you are travelling with an Interrail or Eurail Pass than you have to stop on your phone the possibility to use NFC if you have a Credit or Debit Card on your smart phone, because the ticket barriers at the station will register your credit card and not the QR-Code of your mobile Interrail/Eurail Pass. 

Maybe the Eurail Team can do something that using the Rail Planner App the payment service is turn off like when using NS app. @Mukhammad 

Mostly this problem will have iPhone users. 

More about using credit cards for traveling with NS:

https://nieuws.ns.nl/bij-ns-check-je-in-en-uit-met-je-contactloze-betaalpas/

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 26 January 2023, 15:04

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

THis is becse from then on also trains will accept OV-pay, where a crd/bankcard can function as chipcard for direct payment. On dutch forums it was also stated that comparable problems MAY occur with those who have apple-pay (as such this is a very rare thing among the Dutch, who of course make out the bulk of pax). It seems (I am not technic at all in those things) that a concern named Apple, so beloved by most of its clients, has devised its own systems in a way that is clashes with this system.

You can now also use this way to pay for bus/tram trips you may need to make to reach a Hostel etc or sight-see place. You pay the same as on a chipcard (this goes precise by the KM) and the grand total will be taken from your account in the night after in 1 total sum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think I saw a notice somewhere that the NFC functions are now turned off when the QR code is shown. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it. I thought it was in the app's release notes of one of the recent updates but at least for the iOS version (where they are visible in the appstore) I don't see it mentioned.

Maybe @Camilo. or @Mukhammad can confirm?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I think I saw a notice somewhere that the NFC functions are now turned off when the QR code is shown. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it. I thought it was in the app's release notes of one of the recent updates but at least for the iOS version (where they are visible in the appstore) I don't see it mentioned.

Maybe @Camilo. or @Mukhammad can confirm?

This is something I have to confirm with our technical agents. I will come back to you ASAP. 

Have a nice day! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

UPDATE: 

With help of @Mukhammad, I became aware that this information is being already given to us. 

With Rail Planner App version 26.10.0 we are now able to suppress this default NFC function and make it possible for our travellers to show the barcode. Therefore please make sure to have the app updated to the latest version!

Please visit this link for more info.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

UPDATE: 

With help of @Mukhammad, I became aware that this information is being already given to us. 

With Rail Planner App version 26.10.0 we are now able to suppress this default NFC function and make it possible for our travellers to show the barcode. Therefore please make sure to have the app updated to the latest version!

Please visit this link for more info.

Just for info - just updated and showing version  27.0.0

It's worth saying that this serious issue is still affecting the Android version of the app - and gets little or no prominence, e.g. no warning on https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-netherlands.  

For my part I was entirely unaware of this problem.  

I am using version 38.6.0 on Android 8 and had this experience last Tuesday on Beverwijk station, where Google Wallet registered an NFC transaction.  

Modifying the Rail Planner app so that NFC is suppressed when the QR code is shown (or even when the app is active at all, if that would be easier to implement) really needs to be a top priority for the developers.  

I look forward to hearing comments from those involved.  

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's worth saying that this serious issue is still affecting the Android version of the app - and gets little or no prominence, e.g. no warning on https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-netherlands.  

For my part I was entirely unaware of this problem.  

I am using version 38.6.0 on Android 8 and had this experience last Tuesday on Beverwijk station, where Google Wallet registered an NFC transaction.  

Modifying the Rail Planner app so that NFC is suppressed when the QR code is shown (or even when the app is active at all, if that would be easier to implement) really needs to be a top priority for the developers. 

Please update your app, the current version is 39.1.0. If that doesn't help, then please let customer support know:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Ah, many thanks for this quick reply - much appreciated. 

Can you confirm what the change is in version 39.1?  Does the app suppress NFC while it's active, and if so, is that whenever the app is active, or only when the QR screen is showing?

Either way, if this addresses this significant issue, it's very warmly welcomed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can you confirm what the change is in version 39.1?

Unfortunately not, because Eurail often don't provide any details other than "we've fixed some bugs”.

Does the app suppress NFC while it's active, and if so, is that whenever the app is active, or only when the QR screen is showing?

As far as I know, the app is supposed to suppress NFC only when showing the QR code.

Side not: the original article quoted by @Camilo. isn't available anymore but you can still see it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230126143915/https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/articles/8811425058077-OVpay-at-NS-

Thanks very much.  I think those version numbers (and the resolution last year, I think we can assume) only referred to the Apple version, not Android - but the other help is useful, and it seems a bit silly that Eurail deleted the article, doesn't it!

It's certainly especially useful that the article gives further workarounds, including what to do if you are charged by NFC.  

Yes, not giving a change log in Google Play is bad practice and not too helpful.... so I guess we can't really know whether the issue has in fact been addressed or not on Android…

Cheers