Glacier Express Upgrade 1st class from 2nd Class Pass

• 30 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi there, i currently have a 2nd class Eurail Pass, however i would like to upgrade to a 1st class ticket for Glacier Express. Can i ask if anyone has purchased the upgrade before and where did you purchase it from? Thank you!

9 replies

Hi,

it’s possible online (www.sbb.ch) or at a counter in Switzerland (no need to buy this before).

But be aware that it’s really expensive (116 CHF for the whole journey from Zermatt to St. Moritz).

The mandatory reservation comes on top of this.

I wouldn’t do this (just my 2 cents). Glacier Express also has 2nd class seats.

Kind regards, Hektor. 

Hi Hektor, thank you for your reply and advice.

Yes however il be travelling alone with luggages and 2nd class is fully booked.

Just to check, at sbb.ch would it be under this page? - https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrades-supersaver-class-upgrades/class-upgrade.html

under route specific class upgrade?

Or what do you mean by no need to buy this before in Switzerland? I can just make the purchase on sbb.ch under first class and go into a counter and make the upgrade purchase?

Thank you!

Hi Hektor, thank you for your reply and advice.

Yes however il be travelling alone with luggages and 2nd class is fully booked.

Just to check, at sbb.ch would it be under this page? - https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrades-supersaver-class-upgrades/class-upgrade.html

under route specific class upgrade?

Or what do you mean by no need to buy this before in Switzerland? I can just make the purchase on sbb.ch under first class and go into a counter and make the upgrade purchase?

Thank you!

Yes, it is, but you really have to select “Class upgrade for a specific route” - the cheaper options are just for swiss travel system tickets.

It’s possible to do just a reservation for the Glacier Express and to buy the 1st class upgrade at the counter in Switzerland before travelling.

You do know that it’s also possible to do the same trip with normal trains without a reservation and without extra cost (no 1st class upgrade needed, no Glacier Express supplement of additional 39/49 CHF needed)?  

Kind regards, Hektor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are regional trains on this route that are reservation free. What date and between which stations do you want to travel?

Hi all, thank you for your reply, yes i do know that there are other regional trains without additional charges, however with it being a long train ride and me having luggages etc i dont mind paying the extra so i do not have to worry about the entire train ride. 

From Chur to Zermatt!

Thank you for your replies so far and i will try to make the reservation through this 

• Yes, it is, but you really have to select “Class upgrade for a specific route” - the cheaper options are just for swiss travel system tickets.

Thank you!

Also apologies can i check, under “Class upgrade for a specific route” - which pass should i select if i have the eurail 2nd class pass?

Also apologies can i check, under “Class upgrade for a specific route” - which pass should i select if i have the eurail 2nd class pass?

You won't select any pass. There's no discount with your pass.

You'll have to pay 91 CHF.

And remember that you'll still need a reservation for 39 CHF. 

If you'd like to eat, you need to reserve this, too.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Be aware it might be cheaper - if you have not yet activated your pass - to exchange your Eurail pass to a 1st class pass. Check the conditions of your purchased pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You are on SBB.ch how ever the “Glacier Express” is bestwise reserved via it´s own Website operated by MGB & RhB the Railcompanies that  operate the train. https://www.glacierexpress.ch/