Half price Interrail pass. Worth it for a trip through Spain and France?

I have until midnight to decide to buy a half price rail pass so not much time to plan or explore where i can go and any problems I might encounter.  I will start from Calais (i live in London)  I would like to start by going to Malaga maybe via somewhere in France for an overnight stop.  Are there many trains where I have to make a booking and will I have to pay for the booking.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

France and Spain are two of the non Railpass Friendly countries as the Highspeedtrains always need a Reservation of 10-20€ for domestic Trips and up to 56€ for a International Highspeedservice 

But if i take other trains ie not high speed I am ok with no reservation

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

But if i take other trains ie not high speed I am ok with no reservation

It will take longer and in case of Spain its can be more difficult to find a connection. But to pay once or twice 10€ to have a faster Route is sometimes a good Option 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The sale ends in 8 minutes so you need to hurry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you were so lucky to get through:

across FR from Cal you CAN go on local=TER trains via what they call the ´classic lines-ev 1 or 2 hrs like this: -to Paris (maybe change Amiens)-to Lyon, via Dijon, to Avignon, to Montpellier-Narbonne (maybe change, maybe not), to Port Bou=Border just In ESpana, then catalan express to BCN. NOT possible in 1 day.

A better ALT would be the overnight (if it runs-not daily now) from P to P. Bou (or Perpignan or so-seat or couchette.

In ES onward only possible via 2/day direct AVE-very often ´full’or via MADrid-change there and AVE to/fro there. May give more chance on seats at last mo.

You have a pass so are supposed to be able to help yourself and find train times-the site of bahn.de is best for nearly all of EUR-but ESpana has only limited data. So google and find site of local railway-renfe.com here.