Solved

Help and advice getting to Lake Como from Zurich

• 26 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi Friends, 

My family and I are traveling to Zurich soon and we were hoping to visit Lake Como in Italy. Which train/s do we need to take in order to do that (Zurich to Lake Como). We have purchased the Eurail Pass to use in Switzerland and was wondering if that will give us the access to get to the Lake. Please leave any comments/advice you have to help us sort this trip out. It will be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 July 2023, 16:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You should take a train from Zürich to Milano and exit at Como S. Giovanni.

the interrail one country pass is valid until the border. From there you should buy a ticket, which is according to the sbb website 1,5chf per person (arcobaleno transfrontaliera). Attention: to use this ticket you have to take a regional train. So change in Chiasso from the EC to a regional train. 
another option is to take the IC2 Zürich -Lugano and use then the regional train from Lugano to Como (RE80)

Hi Martin.

Thank you so much for your response.

I was under the impression that the interrail is only for European passengers and not tourist? We have purchased the Eurail Global pass, will that work for the trains needed to get to Lake Como besides the regional one you mentioned?  

Also, what recommendations do you have for activities and sightseeing attractions? 

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was under the impression that the interrail is only for European passengers and not tourist? We have purchased the Eurail Global pass, will that work for the trains needed to get to Lake Como besides the regional one you mentioned?

Correct, you need a Eurail pass, but that works the same way as Interrail. The interesting thing is that the Eurail website doesn't mention a one country Eurail pass for Switzerland. So what pass have you bought exactly? If it's a global pass, then you don't need to buy additional tickets.