Solved

Help for eurail

• Right on track
  • 9 replies

Hi All , very exited to visit Europe with my family ( 2 adult , 1 youth (17 years) , 1 kid (11 years)

My itinerary (and question related to it is as follows :

•  Land to switzeland on 9th June...rest for the day
  • Next day visit to Titlis and mountains 
  • Roam around Zurich in boats/train etc
  • Leave for Paris on Lyria train on 12th June...rest day
  • Visit Effiel tower and other places on 13th 
  • 14th meet friends/ family
  • 15th fly back.

I am thinking to buy 4 days Eurail Global Pass ...but have following doubts

-      Does this pass covers ALL my Local train travel within Zurich ? I meant Travel to Zurich station to Edinburgh. I also plan to visit lucerne and some other areas ?\

--   Does this cover local boat travels in ALL Trains in ALL zone. 

​​​​​​​--   Does this cover local travels in Paris in ALL Trains in ALL zone ? . 

​​​​​​​--  If yes , do I need to buy ticket in advance with this pass OR I can just show that in trains/boats ?

--  My understanding is that this card will give me 25% discount for my  trip to Titalis from Edinburgh. Is that correct ?

-- Most importantly , Do i need to buy ticket in advance for Switzerland to Paris in Advance ? If yes , Do I need to buy and active ticket now ? How It works ?

Thanks a lot for your help

​​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 March 2023, 19:12

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It covers all regional, local trains and S-bahn (suburban trains) in Zurich, but not trams or buses. It will cover a trip to the airport, for example.

I don’t think it covers boats?

It doesn’t cover any of your local travel in Paris (except a couple of RER lines, which won’t be that useful).

You’ll need to buy a reservation on the TGV to Paris, it it’ll cost you €27. Might be not much more expensive to buy a straight ticket instead of the pass. You could look at a single country pass or Swiss Pass for Switzerland instead of a Global Pass.

Not sure where Edinburgh comes in?!

Missed out to ask one question ...there are two terms one says Eurail & other says Interrail Passes...is that same ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

RER trains are not included what so ever. 

The passes work not in zones, or something else. They're valid on companies. If a company is participating, you can take any sort of train (or boat) of them. 

Check the list here: https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/trains-europe/useful-train-information/participating-railway-companies

The pass is your ticket on all the trains, and for some you need seat reservations, and for some there are optional reservation. On trains with mandatory seat reservations you cannot board without buying seat reservations before. Mostly in France (TGV) and on Eurostar (Paris London) you'll find trains with mandatory seat reservations. 

Avoid TGV Lyria, it has extortionate reservation fees. Better take a non-reservable TER train to Mulhouse (Fr) from Switzerland, and than take an ordinary TGV with more moderate seat reservations of 10 or 20 EUR per seat.

EURAIL is for non-European residents, Interrail for Europeans.

Best reserve Eurostar asap if you plan to go to the UK after Paris, they can sell out. And there are no alternatives. 

The other trains are less urgent, but if you plan to travel at Fridays or Sundays, best buy reservations a couple of weeks before travelling. June is usually quite calm, no worries about trains selling out weeks in advance. Vut again, doesn't count for Eurostar so buy seat reservations for it asap. 

It covers all regional, local trains and S-bahn (suburban trains) in Zurich, but not trams or buses. It will cover a trip to the airport, for example.

I don’t think it covers boats?

It doesn’t cover any of your local travel in Paris (except a couple of RER lines, which won’t be that useful).

You’ll need to buy a reservation on the TGV to Paris, it it’ll cost you €27. Might be not much more expensive to buy a straight ticket instead of the pass. You could look at a single country pass or Swiss Pass for Switzerland instead of a Global Pass.

Not sure where Edinburgh comes in?!

To go to Titlis Mountain I first need to go to Edinburgh station from there I can take further Gondola ride. that train ride itself costing me $86. This pass gives me 25% discount on my $96 ticket (ie approx 24) So If i buy this pass , It itself saves me $100 in one day + my TGV train expense . And plus my local travels as well in Zurich. 

Swiss pass is almost same cost and doesnt cover my TGV ticket. So over all this pass makes more sense.

Can you please help me to understand how Eurail pass works with advance ticket of TGV ? I buy Eurail pass in advance and than while doing advance booking of TGV , I just say I have Eurail pass ? than how my Eurail pass fully refundable works ?

RER trains are not included what so ever. 

The passes work not in zones, or something else. They're valid on companies. If a company is participating, you can take any sort of train (or boat) of them. 

Check the list here: https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/trains-europe/useful-train-information/participating-railway-companies

The pass is your ticket on all the trains, and for some you need seat reservations, and for some there are optional reservation. On trains with mandatory seat reservations you cannot board without buying seat reservations before. Mostly in France (TGV) and on Eurostar (Paris London) you'll find trains with mandatory seat reservations. 

Avoid TGV Lyria, it has extortionate reservation fees. Better take a non-reservable TER train to Mulhouse (Fr) from Switzerland, and than take an ordinary TGV with more moderate seat reservations of 10 or 20 EUR per seat.

EURAIL is for non-European residents, Interrail for Europeans.

Best reserve Eurostar asap if you plan to go to the UK after Paris, they can sell out. And there are no alternatives. 

The other trains are less urgent, but if you plan to travel at Fridays or Sundays, best buy reservations a couple of weeks before travelling. June is usually quite calm, no worries about trains selling out weeks in advance. Vut again, doesn't count for Eurostar so buy seat reservations for it asap. 

Thanks for your help. I am not going to UK. Just Switzerland to Paris in Train. Thanks for alternative train idea , I will check with Family

but so  If I have Eurail ...just pay seat reservation and can travel in TGV ? how Eurail pass works with advance ticket of TGV ? I buy Eurail pass in advance and than while doing advance booking of TGV , I just say I have Eurail pass ? than how my Eurail pass fully refundable works ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You mean Engelberg? Not Edinburgh? Hence my confusion. 

Reservations are something completely separate from the pass. There are multiple ways to get them, even before buying your pass. 

Please check the link below 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105/index3.html?postid=37042#post37042 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To go to Titlis Mountain I first need to go to Edinburgh station

I think you mean Engelberg.

Can you please help me to understand how Eurail pass works with advance ticket of TGV ? I buy Eurail pass in advance and than while doing advance booking of TGV , I just say I have Eurail pass ? than how my Eurail pass fully refundable works ?

A TGV within France or from Switzerland to France has a mandatory reservation, which you will need on top of your Eurail pass.

You mean Engelberg? Not Edinburgh? Hence my confusion. 

Reservations are something completely separate from the pass. There are multiple ways to get them, even before buying your pass. 

Please check the link below 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105/index3.html?postid=37042#post37042 

sorry got confused with name...Thanks for your help in this 

To go to Titlis Mountain I first need to go to Edinburgh station

I think you mean Engelberg.

A TGV within France or from Switzerland to France has a mandatory reservation, which you will need on top of your Eurail pass.

Thanks for your help !

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think you’d be better buying individual tickets than a pass. Buy the TGV to Paris ASAP, the Engelberg trip later. The others you can get on the day.

9 Jun Airport to Zurich 6.80 CHF - valid for 2 hours, so includes tram/ bus to your hotel in Zurich. Buy from machine at airport

10 Jun Check on sbb.ch for timetables and prices. 172 CHF full price (return) Zurich to Titlis, including cable car. Cheaper for booking in advance. (But reservations not yet open for June) Or buy a Saver Day Pass for 52 CHF (in advance), which covers Zurich-Engelberg, and then pay full price for the cable car from Engelberg (96 CHF I think), which lets you check the weather before you commit to the cable car.

11 Jun Buy individual tickets or 24-hour Zurich pass for 26.40 CHF (maybe use it the next day?). Easy to get from a machine at any tram stop.

12 Jun Zurich to Paris by TGV - currently CHF 50. Buy it as soon as you can commit, this will probably increase.

13 Jun and onwards in Paris - just pay as you go. It’s less than €2 per journey on the Metro or bus, or €1.70 if you buy a pack of 10 tickets. You may need to get an Navigo card from a Metro station for €5.

1 CHF is the same as €1 or approx $1.

A rail pass would only fully cover your journey from Zurich airport to city centre (but not a tram or bus to your hotel), the train from Zurich to Engelberg. It would give you a 25% discount on the Titlis cable car, and would cover your journey from Zurich to Paris (but you’d need to pay €27 reservation fee).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd exactly do as @ralderton advised.

I definitely recommend the 52 CHF Saver Day Pass for the Zurich - Engelberg journey + 96 CHF for climbing up Titlis.

It gives you more freedom too. For example on the way back you could decide to stop in Lucerne and then take a boat to Brunnen/Flüelen + train to Zurich.

Almost all trains, boats, bus, trams are included for that price (except for going to the top of the mountains, like Titlis)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Btw the 17 y.o. youth will pay the same price as an adult in Switzerland and in France I think it depends.

For the 11 y.o. I recommend you getting the Junior Card at the first train station counter (Zurich Airport in that case).

For 30 CHF the child can travel for free all over Switzerland including up to the Titlis.

It'll save you a lot of money !

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Btw the 17 y.o. youth will pay the same price as an adult in Switzerland and in France I think it depends.

For the 11 y.o. I recommend you getting the Junior Card at the first train station counter (Zurich Airport in that case).

For 30 CHF the child can travel for free all over Switzerland including up to the Titlis.

It'll save you a lot of money !

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Thanks for reply.

I am little confused after seeing link of Junior card. Do I need to buy swiss pass for myself to buy Junior pass for kid ? Is it valid for one year?

I earlier got advice from SBB help email to buy "Day pass for children" , I am surprised they didn't tell me about Junior pass !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well it's true that it has become more complicated recently…

Before you just turned up at the train station and they would give you this paper ticket for 30 CHF. Now you indeed need a SwissPass for the child. You could get it for you instead but there's no need to.

To get a SwissPass (free) they'll take a picture of the child at the train station and give you a temporary paper ticket while waiting for the concrete card which will come later (and which I guess you'll never use)

It's still a better option than the 19 CHF children day pass as I believe that this one doesn't include the ride up to Titlis

Well it's true that it has become more complicated recently…

Before you just turned up at the train station and they would give you this paper ticket for 30 CHF. Now you indeed need a SwissPass for the child. You could get it for you instead but there's no need to.

To get a SwissPass (free) they'll take a picture of the child at the train station and give you a temporary paper ticket while waiting for the concrete card which will come later (and which I guess you'll never use)

Where did you get this information from? I don’t think this is correct for @KBT that the child needs a Swiss Pass ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As @KBT isn't buying a Eurail Pass (not worth it), they'll buy saver day passes + tickets to Paris.

To travel inside Switzerland I recommended saver day passes (from 52 CHF) and a Junior card for the 11 y.o. child as it gives a free ride to Titlis (and Jungfraujoch for that matter for example).

Since December 2021 the Junior card cannot be printed anymore. At first it was only available on the child's SwissPass but due to complaints it is now also available on the parents SwissPasses.

I don't think you can get it still printed unless you make a SwissPass and then you'll get the temporary paper ticket

Hope I've been clearer

As @KBT isn't buying a Eurail Pass (not worth it), they'll buy saver day passes + tickets to Paris.

To travel inside Switzerland I recommended saver day passes (from 52 CHF) and a Junior card for the 11 y.o. child as it gives a free ride to Titlis (and Jungfraujoch for that matter for example).

Since December 2021 the Junior card cannot be printed anymore. At first it was only available on the child's SwissPass but due to complaints it is now also available on the parents SwissPasses.

I don't think you can get it still printed unless you make a SwissPass and then you'll get the temporary paper ticket

Hope I've been clearer

According to SBB, that’s indeed not correct (it would be correct if you’d like to get a year long card - it doesn’t make sense here and will get things more complicated for @KBT):

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay so they can still get a paper ticket for 30 days, that's great to know. I thought that it was only with a Swiss Travel Pass...

At Zurich Airport train station they'll sinply print it for you then @KBT 

Sorry for complicating everything !

Okay so they can still get a paper ticket for 30 days, that's great to know. I thought that it was only with a Swiss Travel Pass...

At Zurich Airport train station they'll sinply print it for you then @KBT 

Sorry for complicating everything !

No worries..this discussion helps lot in understanding how this works..

But for now..Saver day pass for adults N junior card for my kid works best 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes that's it !

And you should buy the TGV Lyria tickets for 12th June right now, the 11:34 TGV is quite cheap : 3 x 49€ for the adults and the 17 y.o. youth + 34,30€ for the 11 y.o. child

There are only 8 seats left at that price

Yes that's it !

And you should buy the TGV Lyria tickets for 12th June right now, the 11:34 TGV is quite cheap : 3 x 49€ for the adults and the 17 y.o. youth + 34,30€ for the 11 y.o. child

There are only 8 seats left at that price

Already booked  :)

I think you’d be better buying individual tickets than a pass. Buy the TGV to Paris ASAP, the Engelberg trip later. The others you can get on the day.

9 Jun Airport to Zurich 6.80 CHF - valid for 2 hours, so includes tram/ bus to your hotel in Zurich. Buy from machine at airport

10 Jun Check on sbb.ch for timetables and prices. 172 CHF full price (return) Zurich to Titlis, including cable car. Cheaper for booking in advance. (But reservations not yet open for June) Or buy a Saver Day Pass for 52 CHF (in advance), which covers Zurich-Engelberg, and then pay full price for the cable car from Engelberg (96 CHF I think), which lets you check the weather before you commit to the cable car.

11 Jun Buy individual tickets or 24-hour Zurich pass for 26.40 CHF (maybe use it the next day?). Easy to get from a machine at any tram stop.

12 Jun Zurich to Paris by TGV - currently CHF 50. Buy it as soon as you can commit, this will probably increase.

13 Jun and onwards in Paris - just pay as you go. It’s less than €2 per journey on the Metro or bus, or €1.70 if you buy a pack of 10 tickets. You may need to get an Navigo card from a Metro station for €5.

1 CHF is the same as €1 or approx $1.

A rail pass would only fully cover your journey from Zurich airport to city centre (but not a tram or bus to your hotel), the train from Zurich to Engelberg. It would give you a 25% discount on the Titlis cable car, and would cover your journey from Zurich to Paris (but you’d need to pay €27 reservation fee).

I have a question , Is Saver day Pass SAME as 9 o’clock Pass .Does 9 o’clock pass do have some travel restrictions ? Does it also cover boats ?

My Titlis trip is planned either on Sat or Sunday … I see 9 o’clock pass do not have any travel restriction on Sat and Sunday...If it’s same , why I would buy Saver day pass in advance that too costly. Rather I would buy 9 o’clock pass for $26 and will it cover my Train trip upto  Engelberg?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 9 o’clock Pass (26 CHF) is only valid in the Zurich canton (ZVV network).

https://www.zvv.ch/content/dam/zvv/abos-und-tickets/zonen/2021-2501-tarifzonen.pdf

All trains running in these zones are included (even those running by SBB for example). It includes ships on Lake Zurich yes.

The 52 CHF pass is valid on all trains, boats, trams,… of the country. You can use it on the tram between your hotel and the train station for example before taking the train to Lucerne.

You can now see how the 52 CHF Pass is really a great value !