Solved

Home country journeys

• 11 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I am living in Germany on the border to France and have the 10 days in 2 months global pass.

Now my question, I would like to travel to one specific destination in Germany for which I have to take several trains. 
After that, my plans are to drive to France and than take a train, which is starting in France, to drive to Spain.

Does anybody know if this would be possible? Personally I think it is but I am not sure.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 11 August 2023, 20:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On a maximum of 2 travel day you can also travel in your country of residence. On a travel day (00.00-23.59 CET) you can board as many trains as you like. 

Okay thank you very mutch

On a maximum of 2 travel day you can also travel in your country of residence. On a travel day (00.00-23.59 CET) you can board as many trains as you like. 

That's not 100% correct. With a 10 days within two months pass actually 4 of the 10 days can be used to freely travel at your country of residence instead of the usual 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That's not 100% correct. With a 10 days within two months pass actually 4 of the 10 days can be used to freely travel at your country of residence instead of the usual 2.

Travellers from some countries, where it, from some parts,  might be difficult to reach the border in one travel day, like Sweden, now, as a test, get extra outbound/inbound travel days.  These extra outbound/inbound travel days should only be used when the traveller really needs more than one day to leave/return home. The days are not for traveling around in your home country  

Travellers from some countries, where it, from some parts,  might be difficult to reach the border in one travel day, like Sweden, now, as a test, get extra outbound/inbound travel days.  These extra outbound/inbound travel days should only be used when the traveller really needs more than one day to leave/return home. The days are not for traveling around in your home country  

Things are interesting. I just had a look at the latest pass from my son and it showing 0/3 inbound/outbound days for his 10 days within two months pass (and we are from Austria).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Things are interesting. I just had a look at the latest pass from my son and it showing 0/3 inbound/outbound days for his 10 days within two months pass (and we are from Austria).

Yes the 3 outbound/inbound days is a trial from Interrail. It is now tested with people in a few countries : at least the Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think I read

Yes the 3 outbound/inbound days is a trial from Interrail. It is now tested with people in a few countries : at least the Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria.

I think I read somewhere that it is being trialled so those in countries where you may need to pass through your country of Residence as part of your itinerary have some latitude. A good example is the service from Bologna to Munich, which passes through Austria. The roundabout routes for Austrian passengers to avoid losing a COR is extreme.

In particular this is of interest to many IR global pass users and eases much of the diversions forced because a journey from country A to B passes through the users Country of Residence.

Some of the few countries where this is not the case would be the UK and Portugal