Solved

How do I make sure that a manually added journey is covered by my pass?

• 2 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I’ll be travelling through the Baltic states (from Warsaw to Helsinki) and there are no timetables in Interrail for them. 

I have a four day interrail pass, and I found the route I want to take on other websites. Before I add it to my pass manualy, how do I make sure, that the train tickets for that rout are covered by my pass? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 August 2023, 18:30

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A train added manually will always generate a valid QR code.

An overview of railway companies where the pass is valid, is here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies

More details often on the country pages:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country

Also note that the prices of regular tickets in the Baltic countries are often quite low. A travel day on a pass will often be more expensive.

The ferries between Tallinn and Helsinki only offer discounts and therefore you don't need to use a travel day for them.

In June 23, I travelled in all 3 Baltic states by rail with a digital Global pass, without any difficulties at all. The trains were busy, clean and punctual. In all 3 states - after consulting Google directions, the 3 train companies' apps and local timetables - I added the journeys manually to the Interrail app, and showed the code generated when requested. From Tallinn, I visited Tartu. From Riga, I visited Cēsis and from Vilnius I visited Kaunas. English was spoken at most ticket offices. Using Google Translate, as a backup, I did ask at those train stations with ticket offices about seat reservations but ended up not buying one. Prices for rail journeys in the Baltic States are low. Some, non Interrail tickets can only be bought on the day of use and some are time limited. When travelling between the capitals, I used Flixbus, as the cross border train connections are not yet straightforward. I did not take advantage of the Interrail discounted Helsinki to Tallinn ferry trip, but should have.