Solved

How do I read an OBB ticket

Badge

I made a reservation with OBB for tickets from Munich to Genova, and I am not sure if it is what I think it is. The printed tickets are all German, and I have translated some, and see it does say I paid with a credit card, but I don’t see where the times or train numbers are. I emailed OBB customer service, and there are ticket numbers and a QR code in what I printed, but I can’t figure out where on the ticket where it gives  the info I need. I printed out a time table, but I don’t remember where that came from. I can’t find anything on the OBB sute to check a reservation, or to change a reservation. And if I remember, it gave a place to enter our Eurail pass numbers. 

icon

Best answer by ralderton 3 March 2023, 17:42

View original

30 replies

This is a 2nd class supplement for rail pass holder travelling with DB-ÖBB-EC from Austria to Italy. It should be valid 12.3. 

Badge

i will add, the schedule I printed says it leave Munich HBF at 7:34. Now I think I can leave from the Rosenheimer station near out hotel, but, when I put all this in the app planner, the time from Rosenheimer was also 7:34. I thought I would have to make another ticket from Rosenheimer to HBF, because of my original mistake.

Badge

Hektor, I don’t know what that means

You didn't book a specific train or time, just a date. This is just the supplement you need to take a DB-ÖBB-EC to Italy when you are holding a railpass (seems to be not valid / what does your Email confirmation say?). What do you think it is?

Badge

I thought I was booking a ticket, I was charged for this, what is a suppliment.

No, this is no ticket. 

Do you have an Eurail pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The train from Germany (in this case Munich, but you enter the train in Rosenheim), needs a supplement for the italian part if you use the train with the Eurail Pass (= ticket). You have buy this supplement.

A reservation for this trains ECB to Verona/Venice/Bologna is only optional. Buy you can buy one via ÖBB for 3€ (using the option reservation). 

There is no direct train from Rosenheim to Genova. You have to change at least 1 or 2 times.

For the long distance trains in Italy like FR or IC, EC (except the EC Munich-Italy) reservations are mandatory. 

Badge

Eurail

Badge

I am still confused, but will try to sort out. I can’t just wing it, I have commitments in Genova

Then everything is correct. 

If you are holding an Eurail pass 2nd class, then you need a supplement to go to Italy via Brenner.

This supplement does cost 10 € and that's what you bought.

But you didn't book a reservation. 

Badge

Pasrt of the trip needs seat reservations, can I do that the day of travel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello Roxy, we will help you. 

Do you have a Eurail Pass? If yes, this is your train ticket.

You can start from Munich main station (=HBF) and take the Eurocity train to Italy. To use this train you need this supplement that you have printed. You are good to go. Keep in mind to add the trip to the Eurail pass. 

If you have further questions, feel free to ask it here. 

There is no direct train from Rosenheim to Genova. You have to change at least 1 or 2 times. 

Of course there's a direct train. Every day at 20.42. But you won't need this supplement for that one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Of course there's a direct train. Every day at 20.42. But you won't need this supplement for that one. 

Oh yes, with the nighttrain. But she is clearly going at day time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Roxy Lentz could you give us some more Informations about the trains that you want to take from Munich to Genova?

So we can check for you if you need a reservation and where you can buy it. 

Also keep in mind that if possible you can use the Eurail Pass to get to Munich HBF, but only if you use S-Bahn trains. All other public transport like metro/underground (U-Bahn), tramway and busses are not included. 

Badge

So, I think this is what will happen, or I should do.

I see times on the planner to leave Rosenheimer at 7:34, with some changes and eventually arrives in Genova P. Za Principe at 16:18. There are notices that a seat reservation is about 12 Euro, and I would guess I can pay then. If not, I will find out where to pay for that.

I should not activate this trip to bring up QR code until the day of travel. 

Am I correct? Thanks for this wonderful community to help. 

Badge

Oh, to those who suggested the night jet, I did know about that, and it was solid full on the day I needed.

Badge

The train that says I need a reservations FR 9728, and I think now, that is what I thought I was doing a few weeks ago when I somehow got this supplement. I think I thought then, I WAS making a reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can clear something up. There’s a difference between a ticket, a reservation, and a supplement!

Eurail is your ticket. But to use Eurail on the Brenner Pass route, you need to pay a €10 supplement (which you already paid. But you could also have paid this to the guard on the train on the day).

This route doesn’t have compulsory reservation. You can just turn up and take any train you like. But if you want an optional reservation you can buy that from ÖBB.

Sorry - edited to add. I misconstrued the question. Above part only applies to the Germany to Italy portion. For the domestic trains in Italy, you also need to pay €10 per train for Frecciarossa, or €3 for Intercity. Buy this from ÖBB and you save the €2 extra fee that Eurail charges.

Badge

Thanks to all of you for your help. I feel much better now, and yes, I am pretty sure there is a S Bahn from Rosenheimer to HBF, to go on to Genova. I know now when to have the supplement ready, and I will pay for the seat reservation when we are there. THANKS!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I checked it for you. 

Are you travelling March the 12?

Only to be sure: You mean Genova in Italy? And not Geneva in Switzerland.

On this day, there are works on the tracks in Verona and in Milan. So no FR trains will run between Verona and Milan. And some trains are cancelled between Milan and Genova. You need to change the plan. Eurail.com and the Rail Planner App are not up-to-date.

At the moment it is not possible to reserve a seat of FR between Verona. In Verona you have to change trains from the Eurocity from Munich to the FR to Milan, but I would not suggest it anyway. The connection is to tight. The EC train is often delayed. 

You could use a other Eurocity from Munich directly to Bologna and change there to a FR to Milan. Or from Verona a local express trains to Milan (reservations not possible, only get on board of the train, maybe on this day full due to no FR trains). 

This is a possible plan:

I have a plan for you, with enough time to change trains in Munich HBF. 

In Munich please don’t start at 7:34, but before! Because you don’t have enough time to change. With your plan you don’t change at the main station HBF, but et the east station München Ost. 

What you need for this trip:

ok - Eurail Pass (don’t forget before boarding to add the train to the Eurail Pass to get your Ticket)

ok - supplement for EC to Verona

missing - reservation for Milan-Genova

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ralderton What do you mean by starting before 07:34 ? These connections all seem fine to me.

If you meant having plenty of time to transfer in München Hbf, yes of course !

Badge

@Angelo  Thank you VERY VERY much, I did not know some of this, and would have found out the hard way. Two of the trains I already had in the planner, and the first and last train I will change because of your suggestion. I have a cousin waiting for us in Genova ITALY, (yes) so, I don’t want to mess up. And thank you for the tip to not leave at 7:36, I woule miss it all. 

Badge

@Angelo  I just realized something else, it seems to be a good idea to put each train in the planner separately, because each one need its own ticket. I was saving the whole trip. 

Now I have the problem that I have paid for first class Eurail, and in the planner it says to make a seat  reservation it is about 5 euro, but the only way to make a reservation is to go to the Italia Rail website and there the only thing to do is to buy a ticket for about 25 Euro and I see no place to enter the Eurail pass number to pay for just the seat reservation. Unless I am thinking Eurail does something it doesn't do. I knew that the pass doesn’t give free rides all over on all the trains it is affiliated with. 

@Angelo  I just realized something else, it seems to be a good idea to put each train in the planner separately, because each one need its own ticket. I was saving the whole trip. 

Now I have the problem that I have paid for first class Eurail, and in the planner it says to make a seat  reservation it is about 5 euro, but the only way to make a reservation is to go to the Italia Rail website and there the only thing to do is to buy a ticket for about 25 Euro and I see no place to enter the Eurail pass number to pay for just the seat reservation. Unless I am thinking Eurail does something it doesn't do. I knew that the pass doesn’t give free rides all over on all the trains it is affiliated with. 

@Roxy Lentz

[1]

You did write here that you did pay for first class Eurail. The supplement in your first post is for second class. If you do hold a first class pass and you would like to go first class, then you’d need an other supplement that will cost 15 € (or 5 € more than yours). Or your posting shown above is not correct.

[2]

The advice given to you to go to Munich / München Hbf and change here to the train to Italy doesn’t make any sense if your hotel is near Rosenheimer Platz. The train to Italy does leave Munich East / München Ost at 7.44am which is a one minute train ride or a ten minute walk from Rosenheimer Platz - no need to leave at 6.55am, going to the main station in Munich where you need to change from the suburban underground station to the main hall (!). Have a look where your hotel is and how far it is from the eastern station. It may be much easier to board your train from here. But even if it’s not in walking distance, you may go from Rosenheimer Platz by train at 7.34am (the timing shown in your own posting about this is absolutely correct, the advice to leave much earlier doesn’t make any sense). If you are unsure just write which hotel it is to get an advice.  

[3]

The reservation for the IC train does cost 3 € (not 25 €) and is available from ÖBB where you did buy the supplement shown in your first posting. 

[4]

By the way: The direct NightJet to Genova would have been available in all categories (seat; couchette; sleeper) on both days (11th and 12th) and is not solid full as you did write.