Solved

How many trains can I take to get out of my country of residence?

• 28 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi!

I’d like to do an Interrail in August.

The first trip will be from Turin (Italy) to Berlin (Germany) at 6 a.m.

As you can see I’ll have to change train in Milan (still in Italy), so it will be the second trip in my own country.

Is it ok or it’s possible to take only one train?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by MartinM 28 July 2021, 11:21

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Noemi,

that’s absolutely fine. There’s no limitation for the amount of trains on your outbound trip.
It must be only on the same day and should be in the same direction (e.g. would not be allowed to go from Torino to Milano and then go back to Novara and after again to Milano and continue (as a stupid example).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There’s no limitation for the amount of trains on your outbound trip.
It must be only on the same day and should be in the same direction (e.g. would not be allowed to go from Torino to Milano and then go back to Novara and after again to Milano and continue (as a stupid example).

I didn't see anything in the terms & conditions that would prohibit this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

There’s no limitation for the amount of trains on your outbound trip.

Well, in this document (ok, it is from 2016, maybe something changed) https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/download/clientfiles/files/country%20of%20residence%20rules%202016.pdf
it says it clearly in my opinion:

You may travel with more than one train, provided the trips are within the same day and in
the direction of the border or airport.

So if you would travel from Torino to Milano and then halfway back to Novara, you’d make a detour in my opinion, which is not allowed according to that document… The sense of the outbound journey is to get to the border and not to travel around your own country (even if you could use the outbound journey e.g. to get from Innsbruck to Vienna and then the inbound journey to get from Vienna to Innsbruck).

Maybe @Nanja can clarify this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well, in this document (ok, it is from 2016, maybe something changed) https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/download/clientfiles/files/country%20of%20residence%20rules%202016.pdf
it says it clearly in my opinion:

You may travel with more than one train, provided the trips are within the same day and in
the direction of the border or airport.

So if you would travel from Torino to Milano and then halfway back to Novara, you’d make a detour in my opinion, which is not allowed according to that document… The sense of the outbound journey is to get to the border and not to travel around your own country (even if you could use the outbound journey e.g. to get from Innsbruck to Vienna and then the inbound journey to get from Vienna to Innsbruck).

This has changed apparently. The current t&c describe it as follows in article 5.2 :

[Note for @Nanja: please make the PDF files searchable.]

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well, in my opinion, that’s almost the same text as in 2016… “from any location to the border/airport/port”. There’s no info there that you can travel around in circles or whatever. Maybe most of the conductors won’t care, but if you are unlucky you might have to buy an extra ticket… (with a special “Schwarzfahrer”-price).

Hopefully someone from the Officials can clarify this here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi both, it is exactly as stated in the document and T&C indeed but just to clarify; the traveller may travel with more than one train on the inbound and outbound trip as long as the trip is in the same direction to the border/airport or port (which means no stops-by within one own's country) and completed by midnight of that same day. Cheers,