How to use the s-bahn trains with the Pass

How do you use your Eurail pass for s-bahn trains? Do you just get on and show your pass or do you somehow prebook it? Thank you

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

None will come around in these trains to check-except for the odd random anti-fraud special teams-which are noted for being very, very strict-its Germany after all (or not?-there are more countries with S-bahn). It is very much like any other train: you write down (paper) or plan it in app-and thats the ticket. NOTE that DE has a confusing amount of S-bahn, U-bahn, and other Bahn (=train), Your pass is ONLY valid on S-mostly with a white S in a green circle. 

As things happen-I´ve just changed from such a train in Berlin Ost to a fast ICE.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You are asking about the S-bahn trains in Germany? 

After entering your journey into the travel diary, you can board the train. You don’t have to pre-book or reserve anything. Just show your ticket when there an inspector asks for it.

Please note that Interrail is not accepted on the U-bahn.

We are starting our journey in Zürich and have a mobile app not a paper. We need to jump on the S-bang from the airport to the place we are staying in for the night. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

S-Bahn Zürich (or any other S-Bahn in Switzerland) is included in the pass. Paper or mobile pass does not affect validity. You may want to consider if this journey is worth spending a travel on. You can find normal fares on the SBB website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

S-Bahn Zürich (or any other S-Bahn in Switzerland) is included in the pass. Paper or mobile pass does not affect validity. You may want to consider if this journey is worth spending a travel on. You can find normal fares on the SBB website.

Please note that the Interrail pass only gives a 50 % reduction on the S-Bahn run by RBS in the area of Berne and Solothurn. I checked this before our trip to Switzerland this Easter. The RBS S-Bahn runs from track 21-24 in Berne (the RBS Bahnhof) If you want to travel with RBS you need to purchase a 1/2-price ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please note that the Interrail pass only gives a 50 % reduction on the S-Bahn run by RBS in the area of Berne and Solothurn. I checked this before our trip to Switzerland this Easter.

As far as I can see on this map, trains in that region are fully included (the grey line between Bern and Worb is the tram). Where did you see otherwise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please note that the Interrail pass only gives a 50 % reduction on the S-Bahn run by RBS in the area of Berne and Solothurn. I checked this before our trip to Switzerland this Easter.

As far as I can see on this map, trains in that region are fully included (the grey line between Bern and Worb is the tram). Where did you see otherwise?

I got the answer by mail from RBS, see below.

Guten Tag Frau Björnson

Besten Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Beim RBS ist das Interrail-Ticket nur ermässigt gültig. Das bedeutet, für Fahrten auf dem RBS-Streckennetz lösen Sie und Ihre Familie jeweils ein Ticket zum ermässigten Preis (sogenannten Halbtax-Preis).

Ich wünsche Ihnen frohe Ostern und einen schönen Aufenthalt in der Schweiz.

Beste Grüsse

Bettina Biedermann

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for that. The information from RBS customer service and the map supplied by SBB don't match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for that. The information from RBS customer service and the map supplied by SBB don't match.

RBS is not on the list over railway companies included in Interrail in Switzerland.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/railway-companies/swiss-railway-companies-included

As several railway companies run on the same tracks the map cannot be correct in all cases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

RBS is not on the list over railway companies included in Interrail in Switzerland.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/railway-companies/swiss-railway-companies-included

As several railway companies run on the same tracks the map cannot be correct in all cases.

RBS run trains on 4 lines and as far as I know, there are no other passenger operators on those lines. The SBB map shows those lines as 100% included (lines with a discount are dotted). So either the SBB map or the RBS customer service (and the list of included operators) is incorrect.

Edit: I found back an old map from 2010 on which the RBS lines were indeed dotted, so with a discount only, so there must have been a reason for SBB to change that.

It would be great if this could be clarified.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

RBS run trains on 4 lines and as far as I know, there are no other passenger operators on those lines. The SBB map shows those lines as 100% included (lines with a discount are dotted). So either the SBB map or the RBS customer service (and the list of included operators) is incorrect.

Edit: I found back an old map from 2010 on which the RBS lines were indeed dotted, so with a discount only, so there must have been a reason for SBB to change that.

It would be great if this could be clarified.

The RBS seems to have been lost in the list of railway companies with discount.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/railway-companies/swiss-railway-companies-discounted