Solved

Interrail valid on Rodalies de Catalunya?

• 27 June 2022
  • 4 replies

I have booked a camping in Mataró, which is about an hour away from the city center of Barcelona. The best way to get there is by Rodalies de Catalunya, which I figure is sort of a regional train. However, on the Interrail-website, I can't find connections. Therefore, I am wondering if Interrail is valid on these trains or that I need to buy seperate tickets. 

icon

Best answer by mcadv 27 June 2022, 20:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, its the local name what else in ESpana is named cercanias, local network around big cities. Note that all main estaciones have gates-normal tickets have magnetic stripes-your pass will not work to open them-have to ask at counter-if that is closed-bad luck. Passes are valid on ALL RENFE.

Yes, its the local name what else in ESpana is named cercanias, local network around big cities. Note that all main estaciones have gates-normal tickets have magnetic stripes-your pass will not work to open them-have to ask at counter-if that is closed-bad luck. Passes are valid on ALL RENFE.

Thanks for the answer! It's clear now. Just hope there will be someone at the counter. I’ll figure it out anyways. 

So am I right that there’s no need for a seat reservation for the Rodalies de Catalunya train from Barcelona Sants to Girona?  I just need to show my pass and ask the staff to open the gate for me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So am I right that there’s no need for a seat reservation for the Rodalies de Catalunya train from Barcelona Sants to Girona?  I just need to show my pass and ask the staff to open the gate for me?

Reservations are not possible for Rodalies and Cercanías elsewhere in Spain.

In Catalonia, the gates should have barcode scanners and they're supposed to recognise the Interrail/Eurail QR codes. It did work sometimes for me last year. If that doesn't work, then indeed ask the staff.