Solved

Interrail vs Eurail - inbound and outbond journey

Hello everyone,

I just realize the fact that - You can use your Interrail Global Pass to make 1 inbound and 1 outbound journey within your own country (in EU).

What about a Eurail - as the fact that I am not a residence in EU? 

Is the same rule applid to the Eurail pass, and then how to decide which journey is for inbound and which for outbound?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 28 May 2022, 08:53

View original

7 replies

It has nothing to do with EU.

If you are a resident of Europe (even of a non EU member state), you need to buy an interrail pass. You are not allowed to buy an eurail pass.

If you are living outside Europe, you need to buy an eurail pass. There’s no choice. 

The inbound / outbund rule is just for the interrail pass.

If you are a resident of Europe (even of a non EU-member state), you need to buy an interrail pass. You are not allowed to buy an eurail pass.

If you are living outside Europe, you need to buy an eurail pass.

There’s no choice.

But this is not my point - I understand THIS OPTION. My mean can I use an eurail pass to travel within one country multi-times?

As I did write: 

You are free to use your global eurail pass in one country multi-times (as long as it is valid in this country).

(I’ve seen that you did read the first posting before my additional edit a few seconds later. Sorry for that.)

If you are a resident of Europe (even of a non EU member state), you need to buy an interrail pass. You are not allowed to buy an eurail pass.

If you are living outside Europe, you need to buy an eurail pass. There’s no choice. 

BTW-

Here is written on the website of EURAIL.eu (https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/do-i-need-a-eurail-or-an-interrail-pass)

‘A Eurail Pass can only be used by non-European citizens or non-European residents. European citizens can use an Interrail Pass instead, available from Interrail.eu for the same price as a Eurail Pass.

If you are not a European citizen, but you are an official resident of Europe, you can also choose to use an Interrail Pass.

Therefore I don’t fully agree with what your said. According to what said on the website of Interrail.eu, if you are a redident of Europe, but not a European citizen, you can choose to buy either Interrail Pass or a Eurail pass.

In fact there is no way to verify this anyway. 

In fact there is no way to verify this anyway. 

Yeah - it is true.  Thanks for all your answers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depending on the country and the alertness of conductors (and yes, in the nearly 70 yrs that EUrail exist-and 50 celebration yr for IR there have been some nasty incidences, mostly in countries where local trains are quite pricey (think UK, DE) it is as such NOT allowed to make regular same trips-like one would use for work-hom on a normal season. Thus for those who know all: yes, its a fairly vague distinction between touristy round trips and regular commute.

Example: you have Canuck passpt and live for long in UK, you bought EUrail-and hide your licence to stay in UK (easy peasy). You found a cheap/ish dig to live in Cambridge and found a well-paid job in ´City/LON´. You should NOT use that pass to do every day-sme time, same peak hr, the return Cam-Lon, even though a normal season might cost you twice the price or even more.

The rule that only 1 trip OUT and back In in home country is of course to guard against this.

EUrail was not valid in UK at all till they reorganised the passes 3 yrs ago and made them much the same.