Solved

Is it necessary to use the Inbound & Outbound entitlement?

• 10 February 2022
  • 43 replies

Badge

Hi, i’m asking these question for the Interrail pass for my partner. 

The pass condition stated that “The Interrail Global Pass is valid for travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days at any point in your trip” 

This mean the pass will have 1 inbound & 1 outbound entitlement of the 4 days pass that i’m intending to buy? 

May i know if it is necessary to use the 1 inbound & 1 inbound ? 

As my travel itinerary would be

Spain flying into London (21st) 

London to Germany (train 23th) 

Germany to Paris (train x2 27 & 28th) 

Paris to Spain  (train 31th) 

So technically speaking i will be using only 1 inbound will that be alright ? 

icon

Best answer by EdM 10 February 2022, 13:23

View original

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Angeline Poh  No you can make the reservations without activating the pass :)

Badge

@seewulf 

The above reservation required me to pay extra 9euro on top of the ticket reservation is for sending the paper ticket to the address? Is there a way to not pay for the 9 euro but still possible to get the ticket? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can try to call SNCB or German Rail they should be able too. In case of German rail you could then collect the reservation from a German ticket office

Badge

@seewulf 

what u mean is that i can call either German Rail (DB) or SNCF  and try to book via the phone call? & only for German Rail which is DB I might be able to collect at Cologne or Munich train station ? 

Through this method, I would pay only for the ticket reservation price? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can call German Rail (DB) or SNCB (Belgian Rail) another brand of them is
“B-europe”. Standard Phone charges apply in case of DB. SNCB charges per minute :)

DB sells the reservation without any service fee (for shipment they charge 3,50€ but if you select pickup from a ticket office you pay no service fee)

Badge

@seewulf 

i see alright!! thanks for telling me that !

Can i know for regional train, i can just board the train as and when the specified train arrives? Do i need to have a seat onboard since no reservation is required? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@seewulf

i see alright!! thanks for telling me that !

Can i know for regional train, i can just board the train as and when the specified train arrives? Do i need to have a seat onboard since no reservation is required? 

If a train is not reservation compulsory you just search for a free seat and sit down :) Worstcase if the train is full you have to stand.

Badge

@seewulf @EdM 

hi guys, my partner has called both DB & SNCF to book Paris - Barcelona on 31st march. 

SNCF said they can’t do any reservation on the phone 

DB said that they to write in to service-international@bahn.de to book the ticket. 

So he tried calling DB thrice. 3 times with 3 different customer service agent giving different answers. 

One mentioned, can’t book on DB please call SNCF / Renfe. Another said to write in to the above email and last one said can’t book for 31st march as the date is still too early to book. 

Please advise on how can i resolve this. French railway is making thing so troublesome. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

SNCF don't deserve customers :( and since August last year they refuse to do pass reservations via the phone. Calling RENFE is useless, except if you can pick up the reservation in Spain.

DB can book it, 31 March is not too far ahead, there are seats available, but too many DB agents don’t know how to do it. I’d say keep trying. @seewulf, is there anything they can say to help the DB agents to book?

Badge

@rvdborgt 

my partner can pick up the paris to barcelona ticket in Spain train station since he is currently there. But do you know if Renfe hotline open on the weekend? as he will be going to Madrid on Monday and i know once ticket are booked, it has to be collected within 72 hours.  

I see, i thought all DB agent are trained in the basic aspect of booking train tickets. Hence i was confused when they said for 31st march can’t book…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

my partner can pick up the paris to barcelona ticket in Spain train station since he is currently there.

In that case, it would be best for your partner to go to a Spanish ticket office ASAP and buy the reservations (should also work without ordering in advance). I don’t know what the operating times of the Renfe hotline are but I'd say try on Saturday morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rvdborgt

my partner can pick up the paris to barcelona ticket in Spain train station since he is currently there. But do you know if Renfe hotline open on the weekend? as he will be going to Madrid on Monday and i know once ticket are booked, it has to be collected within 72 hours.  

I see, i thought all DB agent are trained in the basic aspect of booking train tickets. Hence i was confused when they said for 31st march can’t book….. (Yes they are trained for the “basic” means Train from A to B without Eurail in Germany ) Spain and other foreign Countries are a bit more comblicated for them and only experienced agent´s can book it.)

@rvdborgt  Don´t know what to mention only TC44 (problem is i have the old system and not the new one as the Ticket offices)

Badge

@seewulf @rvdborgt 

I see! Shall pray hard he could get the ticket via phone call on friday or else it will be at the train station on Monday. 

Quick question for exchange or refund of seat reservation ticket purchased on DB website. 

I bought Munich to RIngshiem 27th march departing 1128am but now i would want to travel from Munich to Ingolstadt HBF station and from there 205pm to Ringshiem 807pm on 27th march. Is it possible to email DB on the exchange of ticket (even though they have stated that exchange is not allowed) or refund this ticket? 

Also does boarding a regional train on any day of my travel days considered 1 travel day and does anyone know what is the cost of the regional train ticket without using eurail pass? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB does not refund or exchange seat reservations.

On any travel day you can use as many trains as you like, so München to Ingolstadt and further to Ringsheim on the same travel day is no problem. You can change plans as much as you like. You just need to make sure to register any train you use in the app (mobile pass) or in the travel diary (paper pass) and have a seat reservation if it’s mandatory.

Badge

@rvdborgt 

ah that’s sad to know about it….. i just booked the Munich to Ringshiem seats 4 days ago. 

With my above itinerary of 4 travel days being used, am i allow to board a regional train out of the 4 travel days or does this regional train considered as a travel day if i’m looking to board on 26th march? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

With my above itinerary of 4 travel days being used, am i allow to board a regional train out of the 4 travel days or does this regional train considered as a travel day if i’m looking to board on 26th march? 

In any train, you need an active travel day or a normal ticket. If you're already travelling on 27 March, then travel on 26 March would need an extra travel day, regardless of the train you use. For regular prices, check DB (enter all passengers with their ages because there are group offers).

Badge

@rvdborgt 

Oh no…… in another word for me to travel from Munich → Ingolstadt → Ringshiem i would need to book another separate seat reservation and let go of my existing Munich → Ringshiem seat reservation of 8euro??? 

There is no other solution to resolving this problem? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh no…… in another word for me to travel from Munich → Ingolstadt → Ringshiem i would need to book another separate seat reservation and let go of my existing Munich → Ringshiem seat reservation of 8euro???

There is no other solution to resolving this problem? 

No, that's what it means when DB say you can't change or get a refund for seat reservations.