Skip to main content

Hello! How are you?

I re-open a discussion about this topic to see if there are news for the next year.

I am thinking about a 15 days in 2 months pass, there is a 110 euro difference between first and second class.

I already used a first class pass, in 2023, and it was ok. Not huge advantages, but ok. I liked first class with the Eurostar (Italy) and I think the reservation fee was mostly the same price. More space in Spain, nice lounge in Vienna. More availability in general and reservations costs are, in the continental area, almost the same (I avoided France). In Germany I did not notice huge difference between 1l2 class. Bulgaria and Romania, you must anyway adapt a bit.

I used a lot of night train, but with bed, so there the first class is not helping at all.

I read that first class is particularly good if travelling in UK, but I am not planning it.

Do you have some particularly good experience?

I am searching feedback in particular about Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) long distance trains.

In Sweden, Denmark and Norway, you usually get coffee, tea and water for free in 1st class.

In Norway, it's not a real first class: the seats are the same but it's just with the free coffee etc. Seat reservations in Norway are free of charge with a 1st class pass instead of NOK 50 or 70.

Swedish seat reservations in 1st class can be more expensive, e.g. in the high-speed trains (X2000) it's SEK 150 in 1st class instead of SEK 65 in 2nd.

I did a 3 month first class global pass over the summer and in my opinion the extra €200 was absolutely worth it, obvious reasons like more space etc.

also when on local or regional trains especially at busy times they may have 8 to 16 first class seats and these are empty (even in July and August) they are not true first class in that they are four seats across but generally in a separate area.

for example I went to lauterbrunnen in Switzerland which is an extremely popular train and it was full to capacity including standing but there was only two of us in first class.

i never chose trains based on the extras like tea and coffee like in Denmark and Finland, sometimes you got newspapers or bottles of water, one thing I did think was a bonus was on ÖBB (Austria) you got access to the first class lounge which included refreshments, free clean toilet, air conditioning (in July/August was essential).

the lounge at Wien hbf has a massive screen outside the window with all the departures on too.

so after three months 20 countries 170 trains etc did I think it was worth the extra money absolutely and if I did another global pass it would be first class.

I am searching feedback in particular about Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) long distance trains.

Just to add Denmark intercity were one of the comfiest seats I travelled in along with ÖBB RJX business class (which has reclining leg support) they are like an individual armchair no shared armrest with excellent padding you also get tea/coffee and I got offered sandwiches and newspaper too.

i had nothing but problems with Swedish railways so personally couldn’t recommend them, every train was late and one was cancelled with notice.

Norwegian trains are good but pretty much what you’d expect.

Danish first class seat below and you can just see the tea/coffee station on the extreme left.

hope both of my replies are of some help 👍

Danish inter city first class seats 

Just to add Denmark intercity were one of the comfiest seats I travelled in along with ÖBB RJX business class (which has reclining leg support) they are like an individual armchair no shared armrest with excellent padding you also get tea/coffee and I got offered sandwiches and newspaper too.

i had nothing but problems with Swedish railways so personally couldn’t recommend them, every train was late and one was cancelled with notice.

Norwegian trains are good but pretty much what you’d expect.

Danish first class seat below and you can just see the tea/coffee station on the extreme left.

hope both of my replies are of some help 👍

Danish inter city first class seats 

Hello Steve, thanks for the reply!
I agree with you, using a global pass for 3 months, it is a deal.
I did the same for 2 months, and I think was a nice touch (I loved too the lounge in Vienna, but it seems only in Austria you got this perk).

Now, considering my itinerary (15days within 2 months) I will use the first class for more or less the 6-7 trains (mostly Denmark, Norway, Sweden, maybe the inbound/outbound from Italy). 

We’re 2 people, it means 110 euros more per person + fees, I am not sure in this context it is still valuable (I don’t care much about free coffe or biscuits). We’re travelling during the spring, so I suppose we’re not gonna have problems with reservations. Still in the mood of taking it, anyway :D

Treat yourself you only live once 😉

my rule of thumb on reservations was, how much of an inconvenience will it be standing up or having to get another train? If it was a 1 hour journey I wouldn’t bother but for 3 or more hours I’m paying for a reservation.

its hard to gauge how busy trains will be in Scandinavia you’ve done this before so I’m sure you have an idea in your head what to do but I found any train going to Stockholm was busy and especially on weekends. Denmark, Norway and Finland or so much but as the journey times are longer in general I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

Treat yourself you only live once 😉

my rule of thumb on reservations was, how much of an inconvenience will it be standing up or having to get another train? If it was a 1 hour journey I wouldn’t bother but for 3 or more hours I’m paying for a reservation.

its hard to gauge how busy trains will be in Scandinavia you’ve done this before so I’m sure you have an idea in your head what to do but I found any train going to Stockholm was busy and especially on weekends. Denmark, Norway and Finland or so much but as the journey times are longer in general I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

You’re right. I am going for the first class.
Thanks for reminding the basic rule, you only live once :D

Get them seats reserved on the ic in Denmark you’ll love them seats.

i started my pass trying to save money after a few 5km walks to hostels and hotels in the rain I just through the budget out the window and went for it, best decision I ever made.

good luck hope you both have a great time if your going Finland I’ll recommend a night in Kuopio by the lake 

👍