Skip to main content
Solved

Is the Treno Gottardo covered in the Eurail GP?

• 23 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone! 

I’m travelling in Switzerland and Italy in early August this year, and I came across the Treno Gottardo (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/may/04/rail-route-of-the-month-basel-to-locarno-the-slow-swiss-alps-classic) train which I want to take from Lucerne and Locarno. According to the Guardian article linked, it runs on a scenic old route even though its longer and takes more time, and is run by SBB.

My question is this: Is travel on this train covered under the Eurail Global Pass? Also, does this have both 1st and 2nd class coaches? 

Any guidance on this would help me plan better! 

Thanks everyone :) 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

(My bad : I first wrote about the Gotthard Panorama Express but edited my post.)

Yup fully covered and it's a stunning route. :)

There are 1st and 2nd class carriages, both are really good and the train is relatively new.

Every other hour direct from Lucerne, otherwise with an easy change in Arth-Goldau.

Don't worry if the train is full when you board, it gradually empties at Arth-Goldau (where everyone takes the faster train through the Base Tunnel) and afterwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes it is valid on a Eurail pass.

Yes it has 1st and 2nd class.

Trains on the old Gotthard pass route run hourly from Locarno with destination alternating between Basel and Zurich.

Thank you @thibcabe and @Al_G ! Super useful answers :)

Hello there! From what I see here it requires reservation, no? I’m also looking for this given the Gotthard Panorama Express ...it seems I won’t be in time by 10minutes…

The TrenoGottardo 2323 doesn’t appear in the routes when I look for journeys in Interrail. There’s no reference to it.

@akshayag did you manage to travel without reservation in the TrenoGottardo? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @georginabudin

I travelled with the Treno Gottardo and it is included without need of a reservation. 

Reservations are needed only for the first class only Gotthard Panorama Express on the same route.

Check on sbb.ch the timetable. The train is known as IR26 and IR46. 

Currently till september, after an acident last year, in the Gotthard Base Tunnel most of IC2, IC21 and EC between Arth Goldau and Bellinzona run via old Gotthard Railway line and not via the longest tunnel of the world. If you check sbb.ch or SBB App you see on witch line the train will run.