Itinerary Spain, Switzerland.

• 29 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi there! I will be traveling to Spain, Italy, and Switzerland in the Spring. When in Switzerland, we plan on visiting Interlaken, Grindelwald, possibly Luaterbrunnen, Zurich, and maybe Bern if we have time before we go to Spain. I believe there are no trains through Eurail that take you to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen so a separate pass/ ticket has to be purchased, but since we would have the Eurail pass, we get a discount. Does traveling to these other cities that are not included count as a travel day since we are using our discount? I would assume they dont but just want to make sure before purchasing my pass.

I am wondering the same thing for Spain. We will be traveling to Valencia, Seville, Madrid, and Caceres. On the map I see that “other lines” go to Caceres but since I cannot add this city to my itinerary through Eurail, I do not believe that Eurail trains go to that location. 

I’d like to confirm that traveling to these cities won’t cost me an extra travel day and also how would I go about using my Eurail discount in Switzerland?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

If you do not use your pass on a day other than to get a discount, you don't need to use a travel day. Travelling from for instance Bern to Interlaken is however covered by Interrail, so you'd best use a travel day for that bit.

Whether or not they appear in the app is not the best way to determine the acceptance. Trains to Cáceres are covered by the pass, but their timetables have probably not yet been published. You'll need a reservation though (about €7-10 per person).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You do not need an active travel day to use any discounts this includes the Swiss tourist railways from Interlaken to Grindelwald, etc.

To buy tickets go to the counter at Interlaken and show your pass to get the 25% discount.

Caceres is served by trains run by RENFE who accept Eurail passes.

There is no map that shows all lines that you can use.

There are no “Eurail Trains” as such, all trains are run by the local companies in each country, validity is generally based on the acceptance by these companies and with a few exceptions once a company takes the pass it is valid on all their trains.

The major exception that applies to most places is that in cities the local metro, underground, tram and bus networks that you may need to get around are not valid with the pass so for a stay in a city you may want to buy local tickets unless you walk everywhere.