Solved

Journey through my country of residence

Hello,

I am planning to take the Nightjet from Amsterdam to Innsbruck, which passes trough my country of residence, Germany. Can I take the train without using it as inbound or outbound connection? After all, I'm not getting off in Germany, but the train's route only runs through the country. 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 20 March 2022, 11:52

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nein, das  sollte doch klar sein. This Q has been posted many times now, of course all be penny-wise Germans. Note that for just the ride iwth NJ the discount you get is only around 15€.

Unless you use the otherwise available OUT and IN trips for this.

You can probably get a ticket on FlixBus for less as you would need to pay for the trip across Heimatsland.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

No you can´t :/

The route will take one of the 2 Homecountry traveldays :/ (It doesn´t matter if you just transit or not you travel through Germany :/ )

You may use a saverfare (Sparpreis from Austrian Rail to cover this route without your Interrailpass)

If you still wanna go from Amsterdam to Innsbruck without going through Germany
You could go from Amsterdam via Brussels - Luxembourg - Metz/Strassbourg - Basel  - Zürich to Innsbruck (just avoid the expensive TGV) :) You will need 2 days for that route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On an other Forum someone has the same question and he/she asked directly to ÖBB if it is possible to use the Nightjet in transit via Germany, if he is from Germany (without using Inbound/Outbound) and the answer was yes (from ÖBB). 

@Nanja  I think this answer is not correct, but can you please check if for Germans that take the Nightjet as an direct train (like from Austria to the Netherlands) is possible to go via Germany without using Inbound/Outbound. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Note that for just the ride iwth NJ the discount you get is only around 15€.

You should know very well by now that the discount depends on the offers available, and that you therefore cannot say something like this without knowing the travel date and actually checking the available offers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Angelo, thanks for flagging. I will have it checked. I hope to get back to you soon with an answer. Cheers, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Angelo, it is indeed misinformation that has been provided. According to OBB, If a customer passes through their country of residence, this will be counted as an inbound/ outbound journey, regardless of the fact that they are not stopping in the country. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Nanja thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Nanja thank you!

OBB Staff can be confused
as when a train trainsit from Wörgl to Salzburg through Germany it´s technically still in Austria due some contracts :) Means it doesn´t use the inbound/outbound journey of Germany

As these trains on the route stop in summer in Rosenheim for a change of direction i asked how the railplanner will handle it. As the train have then a stop in Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Nanja  Can you please check with ÖBB how it works with the trains that run as “Korridor” trains* (for train the train tariff and contracts between Austria and Germany this trains run throw Austria) , and also in the case of the works in summer like @seewulf says with the additional stop in Rosenheim.

Because in this case it should be valid, because technically not leaving Austria for the train tariff and also for police, but the train runs throw Germany.

*Every hour the Railjet service from Vienna to Innsbruck via Salzburg.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Angelo, we will look into it, and update you once I know more. Cheers

I took such a train (passing through German territory without stopping) with a German-resident global pass in 2019, being very stressed about it. The conductor did not have any problem with my pass, but it would be nice to have certainty that this is allowed.