Mobile app or paper? Any advice?

Which is better please, the mobile app or the paper version for Europe? 

Also I the website has ‘error 404’ showing all the time so I can’t add passenger details and then go on to book. Has the website crashed?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

APP:

+you can choose the starting date of the pass after buying it (max. 11 months after). 

+If you loose your phone you can get a replacement pass

-some bugs in the app (especially for iOS)

Paper:

+old school

+/- you write your trips down on the list or add it on the app

Badge

Hello, I just started my first mobile app pass and I'm noticing that there is no telephone contact for Customer Support. How am I supposed to get a replacement pass if my device gets lost? The only way to get in touch for emergencies is through an in-app form, which sounds a bit dumb... if I lose my phone, obviously I can't use the app.

Are phone numbers out of fashion these days? You can always find a way to make a call.

Sending a message through this site, hoping that someone will reply immediately when you are in a state of emergency, doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have decided to go for the paper version of the pass on my daughter's and my 2 week Interrail tour this summer. I'm old fashion. I already knew our departure date, which you need to enter at the purchase of a paper pass, as I had booked the night train from Sweden to Germany before I bought the Interrail pass.

Personally I think it is easier to write down the journeys we make on paper than using the app.

I purchased the pass protection so that in case the passes get lost in some way we will get compensation.

We will go Interrailing the old fashion way without making any reservations, apart from the night trains from/to Sweden. Our trip will be through Germany, the Czech Republic and Switzerland. 

Badge

Hi Anna, I hear you. I wish I had gone paper this time too, like I always did. At least you can leave the pass at the hotel on non-travel days and you don't have to worry about losing or breaking your phone. Which is a lot more likely than losing a paper pass.

May I suggest that in the Czech Republic you buy tickets from the Ceske Drahy (that's the national rail carrier) website. They have a fantastic app and you can buy tickets with a big discount even (almost) last minute. Train travel in the Czech Republic is generally cheap (and it is a fairly small country)  so it makes sense to buy tickets there and save travel days on your Interrail pass.

In Switzerland you can do the Bernina Express, which is an amazing train ride. Just take the regional trains that operate on the same line as the Bernina Express. They are as good or even better because there are less tourists. Best itinerary is from Chur/Landquart to Tirano ... the views are really outstanding between St. Moritz and Tirano.

Happy travels!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Anna, I hear you. I wish I had gone paper this time too, like I always did. At least you can leave the pass at the hotel on non-travel days and you don't have to worry about losing or breaking your phone. Which is a lot more likely than losing a paper pass.

May I suggest that in the Czech Republic you buy tickets from the Ceske Drahy (that's the national rail carrier) website. They have a fantastic app and you can buy tickets with a big discount even (almost) last minute. Train travel in the Czech Republic is generally cheap (and it is a fairly small country)  so it makes sense to buy tickets there and save travel days on your Interrail pass.

In Switzerland you can do the Bernina Express, which is an amazing train ride. Just take the regional trains that operate on the same line as the Bernina Express. They are as good or even better because there are less tourists. Best itinerary is from Chur/Landquart to Tirano ... the views are really outstanding between St. Moritz and Tirano.

Happy travels!

@Ricojazz Thanks for the tips. We have global passes so we don't need to save travel days. The Bernina Express is definitely on my "to travel list" but it will have to wait until another time.