Mobile Interrail Pass disadvantages

• 14 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, I wanted to know if the Digital Interrail Pass has any disadvantages compared to the paper pass.

Unfortunately couldn't find anything on the subject.
Best wishes

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Ben,

well, in general not. But I still prefer the paper pass for several reasons:

• you have a memory from your trip
  • you have something in your hand and are not in need of power on your phone… 
  • some trains can’t be found on the app, so you have to add them manually. Was travelling with someone who used a mobile pass and while I got my reservation in Italy within 1min, it took her 15mins as the train was not shown on the app and the ticket clerk didn’t want to give the reservation without the QR code from the app lol.

If your phone gets stolen/you loose it on a night out, you will also have some problem (getting new phone and getting your pass on that phone) while your paper pass stays safe in your hostel/hotel (of course you can also loose it, but never happened to me, while my phone was stolen during some trip).

If you have no ticket office selling Interrail nearby and you need to pay for postage, then of course mobile pass might be more attractive.

Martin

Hi @MartinM ,

Thank you for your detailed answer. I can understand all of your arguments. You have helped me a lot. Best wishes

Ben