Solved

Overnight Munich to Florence

• 17 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Trying to book reservation from Munich to Florence on May 30th.  It appears there is not a 2 berth available, but 4 berth is.  I get everything typed in including discount (eurail global) and it kicks me off.  Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 April 2024, 22:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Try through Nightjet (the company running this train) : https://www.nightjet.com/en/#/home

You can add Eurail as a discount. Let me know if it doesn’t work.

I also see the same option as you : 2 x 34.90€ in 6 people shared compartments and 2 x 39.90€ in 4 people ones. I’d definitely choose the latter.

There are also alternative night trains :

• NJ Munich - La Spezia 20:10 - 11:10 → later arrival so longer night sleep, great views of the Mediterranean and Cinque Terre in the morning (289.80€ for a private double compartment though...)
  • NJ Vienna - Florence (coupled during the night) → however it’s not less expensive nor with better availability

Feel free to ask anything.

Thanks for the idea of going to LaSpezia.  Can I make the reservation now, but not start the eurail pass until May 26th?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes not an issue. Book through Nightjet to avoid fees.

Btw the following day to get to Florence I’d buy a ticket, rather than using a second pass day. They cost 15€, fixed price and always available. If you buy a paper ticket at the station, don’t forget to validate it through a machine on the platform.

Enjoy!

I did notice that the Rail planner app does not have the trip leaving on May 30th from Munich to La Spieza, but the Nightjet does have it.  Is the Rail Planner app not always up to date?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is the Rail Planner app not always up to date?

That's indeed the case. Please don't use it to plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It might also be that Rail Planner struggles with night trains as they are often coupled/decoupled during the night.

You might have to add the journey manually in the end (which is totally allowed).

Super.  Thanks so much.  You have been a huge help.  I really appreciate it!