Solved

Pass cover number always incorrect

• Right on track
  • 5 replies

Hello all, 

I am trying to book reservations online which I really need to do soon but the interface always says

“Your Pass cover number doesn't look right”

I already tried out all numbers I could find on my paper pass and in the online reservation. Issuer is DB (CIV 1080), as it says on the pass. 

Could the issue maybe be that I did not purchase the pass myself but the travel department of my employer did it?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 March 2022, 15:47

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, I do not think so.

In fact till very recently (I just bought a pass yesterday and hence go the new style cover) the Cover itself soes not have the nr-it is on the printed ticket

It is simply a 9 digit sequence. Many of the online bookers in fact accept any self-chosen such sequence. I used 081082083 and it worked for a dummy booking (this is not the actual r I got yesrday).

IF you can state for what sector/copnay and on what you try to book perhaps there is more help/tips.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The pass cover number is on the pass cover (travel diary) and is a capital letter i plus 8 digits.

We've been seeing a lot of complaints lately about pass cover numbers that are not accepted by the Interrail website or some of the booking websites, so there may be a problem somehow. Maybe @Nanja has any more information?

yes, @Nanja that would be great! 

I actually don’t have such a number on my pass cover, but there is one 8-digit number that also reappears in the confirmation email. So I thought that would be most likely, but it doesn’t work...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

yes, @Nanja that would be great! 

I actually don’t have such a number on my pass cover, but there is one 8-digit number that also reappears in the confirmation email. So I thought that would be most likely, but it doesn’t work...

The confirmation email won't contain the pass cover number, it contains the order number, which is different (IN plus digits).

I have only seen pass covers with a pass cover number. See this page where to find it. Does that help?

Thank you @rvdborgt for the link. Sadly, no there is no QR code (or number starting with I) on the back of the cover and also nothing on the top of the list where you enter your journey details in the pass cover. 

I want to book reservations with SNCF and Renfe, and especially with Renfe it seems to only be possible through the Interrail online services (or at the train station, but I can’t wait until I am there when there most likely won’t be any seats left ;) ).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sadly, no there is no QR code (or number starting with I) on the back of the cover and also nothing on the top of the list where you enter your journey details in the pass cover.

That is very, very strange. The pass covers have had QR codes for many years now. There should not be any pass cover without it. Maybe if you post a scan or a photo of the pass cover back, then we can see if there's a problem with the pass cover.

I want to book reservations with SNCF and Renfe, and especially with Renfe it seems to only be possible through the Interrail online services (or at the train station, but I can’t wait until I am there when there most likely won’t be any seats left ;) ).

As to domestic reservations for RENFE: Interrail currently cannot book them but Deutsche Bahn can (at the ticket office or via phone: 030 5512, collect at the DB ticket machine with Bahn-Tix). You do need to look up the train number first via the RENFE website since RENFE doesn't share their complete timetable with the rest of the world and the DB staff need the train number to look up the train directly. DB can also book the TGV from France to Spain or from Germany to France. DB sadly cannot book domestic TGVs in France but French railways (+33 1 84 94 3635; press #85 for English) and Belgian railways can. Both will send the reservations via email and have no extra costs other than the phone costs (the French number should be cheaper though).

Thanks again for your answer! So I will try my luck at the DB ticket office and see what they can do. Out of curiosity, this is the back of my pass cover. I don’t know if something is missing there! The only QR code I see is on the ticket itself and if I scan it, I get a few numbers, among the 8-letter number that I thought would be most likely but doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This looks like a very, very old pass cover. Maybe even 10 years old or more. There are ways to tell:

1. It still has a column for the train number. This has disappeared a long time ago.
  2. The QR code (bidirectional, you have a unidirectional barcode) is missing, which appeared many years ago, together with the remark that you need it to open gates in the Netherlands and France.
  3. The pass cover number is missing.
  4. It still mentions that you receive a gift when you send in the pass cover. That is not the case anymore.

As far as I know, these pass covers should not be used anymore and the ticket office should have thrown them away. You should go back and ask for a new pass cover.

Haha thanks, good to know I’m not going crazy :D 

I don’t think I will be able to swap the pass cover though, I had to let the travel agency my employer has a contract with buy it for me (it’s a business trip), so there are way too many steps involved. But I can tell the person at the ticket office they shouldn’t use them anymore.

Since I really don’t have my Pass Cover ID, @Nanja, could I please get one from you?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But I can tell the person at the ticket office they shouldn’t use them anymore.

Sounds like a good idea :)

Since I really don’t have my Pass Cover ID, @Nanja, could I please get one from you?? 

The best is to request one via customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Haha thanks, good to know I’m not going crazy :D 

I don’t think I will be able to swap the pass cover though, I had to let the travel agency my employer has a contract with buy it for me (it’s a business trip), so there are way too many steps involved. But I can tell the person at the ticket office they shouldn’t use them anymore.

Since I really don’t have my Pass Cover ID, @Nanja, could I please get one from you?? 

Sorry Nanja is currently not in office (few days off) currently it´s better to tag @Felipe.iturrieta@Leo 

Thanks for the link to the customer support interface! I thought there would be only support on Twitter and Facebook, which I don’t have, welp…

But @Felipe.iturrieta, if you could help me out with a Pass Cover Number that would be great!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Ldot. I have just sent you a Pass Cover Number via private message; it should allow you to start making your reservations. Cheers!

Hi @Felipe.iturrieta 

It’s happening the same thing for me.

I have bought a GREEK ISLAND PASS but my PASS COVER NUMBER (Order ID in my email confirmation) is written incorrect when I try to book ferry tickets online.

But it’s becoming urgent for me to book my ferry tickets.

Can you help me with that or send me new correct one?

Thank you for your help

Sophie

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Sophie HEDOU 

Eurail staff members in the community can only help out occasionally so the best thing is to contact Customer Support through this form and ask for the pass cover number.

The pass cover number is not in your email, but will be written on the paper pass that you will get. I hope that you can get if from Customer Support also.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Customer Support is overloaded with requests so you need to clearly write what date you will start travelling so that Customer Support can prioritise your request correctly.

Hi all-- I am also having the same issue! I purchased a eurail (mobile) pass directly through the website, but am unable to book a reservation because apparently only paper passes come with pass cover numbers? Can anyone help? I’m supposed to travel tomorrow and am unsure how to proceed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Maggie Talbot-Minkin If you make a new topic with your travel details (departure date, time and route) you will get advice on how to make reservations.