Solved

Purchasing Eurail Pass - any paper ticket required?

• 20 August 2021
  • 9 replies

If I purchase my Eurail pass and upload the information to the Eurail app, is the paper ticket from Eurail required?

We leave in 5 days, there simply isn't enough time to have the paper ticket mailed to us before we leave.

Thanks

Bob

icon

Best answer by seewulf 22 August 2021, 02:39

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you bought a Mobile pass or a paper pass? or intend to buy?

Or are you talking about reservations? some of them have to be done in paper in a specaial format called TCV , CIV and because of that have to be printed :/

Thank you for the response.

I have not purchased anything yet, I just want to make sure that when I purchase my eurail pass I don't have to wait for a paper ticket in the mail, (leaving in a few.days) I can simply use the mobile app.  I hope that answers your question.

Look forward to your response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can buy the Mobile Pass and use it directly but depending on the Routes you take during your journey you may need reservations (mainly France,Spain,Italy and Nighttrains :/ ) some of the reservations need to be printed on special paper and because of that are shipded by mail or you buy them at the station and avoid that whay the shipment by mail :/

Don´t know where in Europe you arrive but many offices still sale the old paperpass (same as the mobile pass) directly in Europe :) for example the Ticket offices of German Rail called “DB Reisezentrum” sell them for direct use. But then without the plus upgrade of Eurail.

I'm assuming by mobile pass that you are referencing purchasing a eurail pass through the mobile app?  Would I be correct? And by doing so, I dispense with any paper tickets?

Sorry I just saw your response. My plan is due by Eurail pass the 5 days of travel in a one month package.  And in essence use my phone as my pass.

I did read on the euro website that many countries require reservations before you get on a train But I was not aware that some of those required a paper reservation as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm assuming by mobile pass that you are referencing purchasing a eurail pass through the mobile app?  Would I be correct? And by doing so, I dispense with any paper tickets?

As said even with the mobile pass it can happen that you need “Paper reservations” as not all reservation can be delivered as e-reservations :/ It all depends from your Route :) But with the mobile pass you would travel almost paper free

Really appreciate the help you're giving me. I just needed some reassurance and confirmation that I can just buy the Eurail pass and use my phone for the most part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As said depending on your Routes you will take with your Eurail pass you may need reservations for some trains

There are two kinds
Paperreservation have to be shiped by mail (or you buy them directly at the station)
and
e-reservations that will be delivered by e-mail :)

The ticket itself will be always your pass on your phone :) the mobile pass can be activated  directly after purchase :)

Awesome brother, thank you so much!!

Peace.

Bob

American traveling through Europe pretending to be a Canadian.