Solved

Reservations

• 27 September 2022
  • 3 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

Please help ASAP

I got following trips planned. According to the euro rail none of these trips require a reservation. However reading lot of reviews online suggest that perhaps information within the euro rail about whether reservation is required cant be trusted.

I also read that even if you dont need a reservation its really hard to get into the trains without reservations and at times you get into trouble with ticket inspectors even if you have a euro rail pass as they dont understand this pass. 

My group consist of 4 adults and a child (6ys old)

Planned trips

5/10/22 : Frankfurt airport (leaving at 9.30 am) to Amsterdam Central  and then to Zaandam 

7/10/22 : Amsterdam Central (leaving at 9.30 am) to

Euro rail says that reservations are not required for these trains . is this correct ?Is there a another way for me to check this before buying the pass ? 

Euro rial says that reservations are required for following trains 

8/10/22 : Brussels Nord (leaving at 9.30 am) to Paris Est  

11/10/22 : Paris Est to Zurich

13/10/22 : Zurich to Venice

15/10/22: Venice to Rome

17/10/22 : Rome to Milan

19/10/22 : Milan Central to Milan Airport (I believe that second class pass doesnt cover this trip)

Given that I have to pay reservation cost of these trips, the ticket to airport is not included and uncertainty about whether reservations are required for the first 2 trips am I better off buying individual tickets compared to buying a 7 days 2nd class europass ?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 27 September 2022, 14:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I also read that even if you dont need a reservation its really hard to get into the trains without reservations and at times you get into trouble with ticket inspectors even if you have a euro rail pass as they dont understand this pass. 

It is especially in summer, when all people are traveling in the same train. You have only to check the website of the train company to know how full a train will be. Like for Germany bahn.com or Switzerland sbb.ch

5/10/22 : Frankfurt airport (leaving at 9.30 am) to Amsterdam Central  and then to Zaandam 

First trains an ICE high speed train have only optional reservation, you only reserve a seat if you want to be sure to get a seat. Especially with a group it is better to have on. Check like I said before bahn.com or the DB Navigator app how full the train will be (check for the timetable), this website/app is also useful to know if the train runs like planned or there are delays or cancellations. You can reserve a seat via bahn.com for 4,50€/trip/seat or via tickets.oebb.at for 3€/train/seat. Eurail.com asks 8€/train/seat. 

7/10/22 : Amsterdam Central (leaving at 9.30 am) to ??? Brussel?

The second train is to Brussel? Because you don’t have write it. If it is the Intercity train, this train is not possible to reserve. Add the trip to your Eurail pass and hop on the train. If you take a Thalys high speed train, reservation is compulsory but also not cheap. I would take the Intercity train. 

8/10/22 : Brussels Nord (leaving at 9.30 am) to Paris Est 

this can not work? There is no train at 9:30 am. The trains to Paris leave in Brussel at Brussels South and go to Paris Nord. Or do you have planned to go via Germany? You can book the direct train Thalys for 25€/seat via eurail.com (+2 EUR booking fee/reservation) or via www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (+4 EUR booking fee/booking). 

11/10/22 : Paris Est to Zurich 

Online bookable only via eurail.com for the direct train TGV Lyria. If you take a TGV/ICE train Paris Est to Strasbourg (reservations bookable via https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish (there a seat cost 10 or 20 EUR +4€ booking fee) and change there to a TER service to Basel (no reservation needed) and then an IC/ICE service to Zurich (reservation optional, but not needed in Switzerland). 

13/10/22 : Zurich to Venice 

There is one direct service per day (so you don’t need to change in Milan, and you only pay so 1 time the reservation. The Eurocity train at 6:33 am goes directly. You can book it directly via Austrian Railways (please read how it works on the linked tutorial) for 11€/person instead of 13€ of eurail.com. 

15/10/22: Venice to Rome 

17/10/22 : Rome to Milan

trains run very frequent, and you can reserve via Austrian railways ÖBB (using this steps) for 10€/seat. 

19/10/22 : Milan Central to Milan Airport (I believe that second class pass doesnt cover this trip)

The train to the airport of Milan Malpensa is not included in the pass in first or second class. You have to book a ticket here. 

Given that I have to pay reservation cost of these trips, the ticket to airport is not included and uncertainty about whether reservations are required for the first 2 trips am I better off buying individual tickets compared to buying a 7 days 2nd class europass ?

compare normal tickets with the costs of a Eurail reservation + Eurail Pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

One consideration is when you book and pay for tickets in advance they are often not refundable and train specific. Fully flexible tickets are often expensive.

Interrail passes are totally flexible  subject to reservations so changes only lose any reservation fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Although reservations are a challenge and at times a significant cost they are a necessary evil.

Work with the advice of the experts on here and you will find solutions to most of your travels at the least painful cost.

Some simple tips 

Interail reservationtool charges a flat fee of 2 euro per ticket on top of the operator fee.

Other sources all have variable fees, but many charge per booking, not per ticket.

Although it adds cost follow the advice on optional reservations for potentially busy trains -get them.

Personally I would avoid night trains  they are either cheap in dormitory couchettes with no facilities or expensive in cabins and leave late and arrive early.

A modern aparthotel and daytime trains is my preferred option.

Always have a plan B and C in case of delay or cancellation.