Solved

Residence + reservation unavailable + inbound/outbound

• 19 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I am Italian but currently I am studying and living in Germany. All my documents are Italian. My trip will not involve travelling from/through/to Italy. In Germany, I am registered as living here but I do not have a German ID. Which should I select as my residence country?

In case I select Italy, then I will not use my inbound and inbound journeys. Is this okay?

Additionally, when trying to make a reservation through the interrail.eu website some trains show up as:

DETAILS UNAVAILABLE. Seat reservation information isn't available right now for this train.

Under ‘other ways to book this seat reservation’ I get:

• Book in person at a main station in Europe

This is the case for the journey CHAMBERY CHALLES LES EAUX (FR) - GENEVE (CH) on 30/01/2022 (departure time 12:42). However I noticed that the same problem appears when changing date and time.

So should I go to any station in Europe and book a seat for this train? Is there a chance they will tell that it is not possible or is it just a matter of not being able to book it online. How long in advance should I do this? Can I do it on the day of travel?

Generally, how long in advance should one book a train reservation? 

I would appreciate any help :)

Sofia

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 January 2022, 14:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For any trains that you would like to book: please give the exact date and train departure time. Only with that information, it is possible to say what the problem probably is.

As to your residency: if you live in Germany, then that's your country of residence. If you're Italian, then it's logical you don't have a German ID because identity papers are normally only issued by the country of your nationality. Maybe you have some kind of residency card (depending on the German rules about that) but such a card is not proof of ID. The ID to be used for the Interrail pass should normally be your Italian passport or identity card, regardless of where you live.

For any trains that you would like to book: please give the exact date and train departure time. Only with that information, it is possible to say what the problem probably is.

As to your residency: if you live in Germany, then that's your country of residence. If you're Italian, then it's logical you don't have a German ID because identity papers are normally only issued by the country of your nationality. Maybe you have some kind of residency card (depending on the German rules about that) but such a card is not proof of ID. The ID to be used for the Interrail pass should normally be your Italian passport or identity card, regardless of where you live.

Thanks for your reply. I have added the train details to my question.

About the country of residence, that was my reasoning too. But I am still confused as to which one I should put down as my country of residence to avoid problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The 12:42 train from Chambéry is a regional train (TER) and reservation is not needed or even possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You have to know, that if you choose Germany you can use only on two days the trains in Germany (Outbound/Inbound) to leave or to get back. You can use the Outbound/inbound but you don’t have to. 

You have to know, that if you choose Germany you can use only on two days the trains in Germany (Outbound/Inbound) to leave or to get back. You can use the Outbound/inbound but you don’t have to. 

Thank you Angelo. If I don’t have to use them then I’ll choose Italy so all the docs are in place.