Solved

Returning to home Country with 2 Month Global Pass

Hi,

I want to purchase the Global Pass and I don’t entirely understand the policies regarding travelling within  home country. I hope the community will be able to help me here.

1. Is it possible to return my hometown during the two months and then start again after a break period? (I assume not)
  2. If the first idea doesnt work, would it then be possible to travel with the pass to a city nearby the border of my home country from where I purchase separate tickets to travel to my hometown and then back again? For Interrail I didnt return to my home country then.
  3. How are trips booked in the mobile app exactly if I transit my home country? For example travelling from France to Poland crossing Germany? I assume I would only be allowed to transit without any stops in Germany? Lets say I would get out in Berlin and then book a trip from Poland (via Berlin) to another country, could I just jump on that train in Berlin theoretically? Or is there some kind of validation that would prevent this kind of “trick”?

Thank you very much for your help, looking forward to your answers!

icon

Best answer by Sebastian Emil Sørensen 9 May 2022, 10:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  1. you can use the inbound/outbound days whenever you like, but only once. 

2. yes
  3. you can add a manual trip in the app. this way, the stations you enter are not triggering any validations. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

About 3: I am not sure if I understand your question right, but you can’t transit your home country as often as you want even if you make no stops… you can only use the two in-/outbound trips. For other trips you would have to buy a separate ticket from e.g. Polish border to French border.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you would transit your country that will count as both an outbound and inbound journey in the app.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/what-is-interrail/travel-your-own-country

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As above: only 2 trips (days on mobile pass) allowed in home-country-if any more are wished-pay. If you happen to live in D or DD this is not overly expensive. AND in jn/jl/aug you could use the 9€ MOnthly Nahverkehr only special offer tickets. DB does NOT sell special tickets to socalled ´border tariff points´ anymore.-a preplanned (super)sparpreis to next stop is usually best buy.

The ONLY through trains via DE are the NightJet-and seat-single fares on these start from 29.90-and the supplmt for seat on a pass is 15€.

Note that just yesterday there was an elaborate discussion also about this on community.bahn, with proper official answer from DB; the trip OUT and INbound should be via a direct route, not long zickzack etc. You CAN go from B to NL first, but not via M or F, but yes via H-then OS or DB.

1. you can use the inbound/outbound days whenever you like, but only once. 

2. yes
  3. you can add a manual trip in the app. this way, the stations you enter are not triggering any validations. 

Hey Sebastian, about 3: I like the idea but what would you answer to the people saying, even a transit is already triggering a validation? I would also love to design my own trip and always led it start as well as end outside my country of residence and hop on wherever I want, just to save the free in-/outbound. But I guess the App or someone will notice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you would transit your country that will count as both an outbound and inbound journey in the app.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/what-is-interrail/travel-your-own-country

In reality though, the app only uses one of the inbound/outbound journeys.