Solved

Train tickets in Italy/ferry to Sicily

• 27 June 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi! I'm planning on Interrailing through Italy this summer. I've already bought a Global Pass 7 days. I want to visit the following places (though I'm planning on taking it day by day, so might skip a few):

Utrecht (Netherlands) >

Milan >

Cinque Terre >

Florence (via Pisa) >

Rome >

Naples (with day trips to Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi coast) >

Sicily >

Back to Utrecht via Siena/Bologna

I have a few questions about this:

• Is the trip to Sicily (train + ferry) covered by the Interrail Pass? And do I book this through Trenitalia?
  • Can I take the ferry to Sicily from Naples? And what city in Sicily is best to ferry to? 
  • I think I'd want to buy some seperate tickets on regional trains to save travel days. Do I book this through Trenitalia? 
icon

Best answer by MartinM 27 June 2022, 11:23

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey!

The IC and ICN are covered (including the ferry ride). If you are using a train to Villa S. Giovanni and change then to a “normal” ferry, you have to buy an extra ticket - interrail is not valid on this, even if the app says so… Last summer it was 2,5 euro for a single ferry ride. From Messina you have frequent connections to other destinations.

You can take it, but Interrail is not valid on it. In the best case you get some discount (no travel day needed), in the “worst” you have to pay standard fare. I’d recommend you to do the train ride - it is mostly along the coast and the reservation will be only 3 euro (for IC). 

Yes, you can buy the tickets just at the station from the machine or from a ticket office.. no need to book in advance (for regional trains, for other trains would be recommended as it will be cheaper).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ferry is only covered when the train rides on the ferry on this route, this is only possible with the IC and ICN Rome-Villa S. Giovanni-Sicily. 

Ferry is only covered when the train rides on the ferry on this route, this is only possible with the IC and ICN Rome-Villa S. Giovanni-Sicily. 

Ah thanks! And is it possible to board the train in Naples instead of Rome? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes sure, the train stops in Napoli Centrale, but also for example Salerno and so on. Search for the train on a timetable search website/app like Trenitalia or bahn.com/DB Navigator. 

For a seat reservation costs 3€. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It is NOT possible anymore to make RES only for seat on machines in IT stazione. Have to visit counter and show pass.

I am also going with my family to Sicily and we have interrail global pass. 

I Manage to make a reservation directly from Napoli to Catania. Look like this: 

NAPOLI CENTRALE (Italy) 23 July 2022, 09:50 CATANIA CENTRALE (Italy) 23 July 2022, 17:25

7hr 35min

It do not specify any ferry, so I hope it’s inkluced. What do you think? 

/Christopher

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That train gets put on the ferry, with passengers on the train. There is no separate charge for the ferry. It is the last regular train ferry in Europe.

Once secured on the ferry you can get off and enjoy the short sea crossing in the ship accommodation or if the weather is good out on deck.

That train gets put on the ferry, with passengers on the train. There is no separate charge for the ferry. It is the last regular train ferry in Europe.

Once secured on the ferry you can get off and enjoy the short sea crossing in the ship accommodation or if the weather is good out on deck.

That was what I was hoping for! =) 

Thanks for the info! 

C

Hey!

The IC and ICN are covered (including the ferry ride). If you are using a train to Villa S. Giovanni and change then to a “normal” ferry, you have to buy an extra ticket - interrail is not valid on this, even if the app says so… Last summer it was 2,5 euro for a single ferry ride. From Messina you have frequent connections to other destinations.

You can take it, but Interrail is not valid on it. In the best case you get some discount (no travel day needed), in the “worst” you have to pay standard fare. I’d recommend you to do the train ride - it is mostly along the coast and the reservation will be only 3 euro (for IC). 

Yes, you can buy the tickets just at the station from the machine or from a ticket office.. no need to book in advance (for regional trains, for other trains would be recommended as it will be cheaper).

Hi there, this is really helpful thank you.

Regarding the ‘regular’ ferry that is not covered by the Interrail pass which you say cost 2.5 EUR last summer, does this have to be booked online do you know (if so would you mind sharing where?) or can we do it in person on the day?

Thanks,

Oliver