Solved

Travel in own country

The Interrail website states: “if you have an Interrail Global Pass, you can travel on one travel day to leave your country of residence (outbound) and on one travel day to return (inbound)”, ie “can” not “must”.

I live in the UK. I have a pass for 4 days travel in a month. I have started my trip in Austria, ie I do not intend to use an outward journey from the UK as a travel day. The pass now tells me that I only have 2/4 travel days left. Does that mean I have lost one of my travel days, because I have not started my trip from home? 
If so, the website is unclear and misleading.

I hope someone can help!

John

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 1 February 2023, 12:26

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The 2 in or outward passdays are not extra. They are included in the amount of pass days. So in your 4 pass days, you can use two travel in or out your country of residence.

The 2/4 travel days left, means that you already took trains on two different travel days on your trip. If necessarry you can still use these two days in the UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have you started your travel? If yes, how many travel days have you activated? If no, have you activated your pass and any travel day?

Thanks AnnaB. Yes, I have started my travel, activating my pass today - in Austria. My intention was always to have 3 travel days travel in Europe with the 4th day being my inward journey to uk. I had no need for on outward journey from the UK (I had to fly from uk to Austria).

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks AnnaB. Yes, I have started my travel, activating my pass today - in Austria. My intention was always to have 3 travel days travel in Europe with the 4th day being my inward journey to uk.

That means you did activate one travel day in advance (since you have 2 out of 4 left), which is generally a bad idea.

No, I only activated it today, my 1st day of travel. So I should still have 3 days of travel left.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No, I only activated it today, my 1st day of travel. So I should still have 3 days of travel left.

You wrote the pass says 2/4 so you'd better check now which other date you have activated and cancel it (which is only possible for future travel days). You should be able to see in My Trip for which dates a travel day is used.

Thank you for your help. The pass had counted today’s journey twice as two separate travel days. I have managed to delete the second travel day, so the pass is treating today as my outward journey (hope that makes sense). Thanks again.

john

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for your help. The pass had counted today’s journey twice as two separate travel days.

That sounds like a bug. It should not be possible to activate a second travel day on the same date.

Agreed. I will report it to Interrail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Agreed. I will report it to Interrail.

Good. You can use this link:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new