Solved

UK resident but German citizen. What documents do I need?

Hello, I have a German passport but have lived in the UK for many years. I have full settled status here. I would like to use my global pass in Germany, how do I proof residence status in the UK? Will my usual proof of settled status be enough? I have other government documents such as a recent polling card or jury citation which you only get if registered as a resident locally. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 9 August 2022, 09:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hallo, gutentag. You will of course only have-if at all- a problem if you are thoroughly checked in DE when some smart controlperson sees a german name and homeland UK and many trips in DE. Now when the reverse was true its DE überpünktlich gründlich as they are, very easy- Aufenthaltsgenehmigung. But I learnt from other similar postings here that UK is rather sparse on these declarations. In the rulings of EU/INterRail only stands like ´must have official govmt. proof´. I am now just after day 6 of a 10-day pass and was never till now checked for ID. Had also a 2-monthpass last autumn and was in total checked 2 times (1 by an instructor+apprentice-glad he could show this rare ticket and how it should be handled-this was in DE). But I live in homecountry.

Do you know about the real bargain in DE this summer? The 9€ monthly for all OePNV/Nahverkehr-if you can do without the DB-IC/ICE then this is far better value.

Thanks, it sounds like I should give it a go and hope my selection of documents will be accepted if checked. Yes I know of the 9 Euro ticket but I hope to take some long distance IC/ICE trains and anyway my trip in Germany will be fairly short and within my pass validity. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, I hope that you managed to travel without encountering any troubles. Just in case other travelers had the same question, it might be useful to note that any one of the following documents are considered proof of residence in the UK: TIER 1,2,3,4 visa / Ancestry visa / Certificate of Right of Abode / BRD Biometric Residence Permit.

I have the same question. Is it possible to reopen this thread, as it hasn’t been solved?

Hello, I hope that you managed to travel without encountering any troubles. Just in case other travelers had the same question, it might be useful to note that any one of the following documents are considered proof of residence in the UK: TIER 1,2,3,4 visa / Ancestry visa / Certificate of Right of Abode / BRD Biometric Residence Permit.

@Claudi.‘s answer doesn’t apply to EU citizens who live in the UK, because we cannot get these documents from the UK government. Our “settled status” (indefinite leave to remain) can only be verified electronically. We do not have and cannot get any physical proof of our residence in the UK — there’s a whole campaign about this issue. As far as I can tell from the T&Cs and other threads on this forum, this makes it impossible for EU citizens living in the UK to use a Global Pass in their country of citizenship. I really hope someone can prove me wrong on this point!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I find it difficult to think any but the most obnoxious official will either care or know the rules of residency, not citizenship, attached to an IR pass.

IR asks you for your residency at the moment of purchase  but asks for no proof other than your posting address. As long as you have some form of official documents with your name and address in the UK I am sure that will be adequate to most inspectors. For example a credit card or bank statement or a driving licence with your UK address.

Even if challenged you have your pass showing I/O days based on your UK residency, and any issue would be with Interrail, not the train provider