Solved

'United Kingdom' not available for Eurail Global Pass traveller details

• 15 November 2021
  • 5 replies

I am a resident of the UK and have a UK passport.  This should mean that I buy a Eurail, not an Interrail pass.  The purchase is going fine until I come to the ‘Eurail Global Pass Adult traveler’ details.  You have to submit a country of residence.  But ‘United Kingdom’ is not available. Neither is ‘Great Britaiin’ or ‘GB’ or whatever we are calling ourselves today.  What is going on?  Am I missing something?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 November 2021, 11:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you're a resident of the UK, then you're a resident of Europe and therefore you don't qualify for Eurail but for Interrail:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/do-i-need-an-interrail-or-eurail-pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@PianoRedTed62 

Interrail and Eurail have nothing to do with European Union :) Countries like Serbia,Moldova,Russia and many more like UK are not in the EU but citizen of these Countries are eligible for Interrail :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interrail and Eurail have nothing to do with European Union :) Countries like Serbia,Moldova,Russia and many more like UK are not in the EU but citizen of these Countries are eligible for Interrail :)

In fact, Interrail was introduced before the UK joined the EU (!) and it was already valid in the UK back then...

OK.  I understand that UK residents apply for Interail.  It is, in fact, impossible to buy a Eurail pass.  However, though it might seem obvious to those with experience of Interrail/Eurail there is no definitive information on any web site.  EVEN from the Eurail Help, who had previously told me this:

For UK residents as yourself, we have the Eurail Pass.
Although both are very similar in use, a few legally-binding conditions apply differently to each type, like the fact that you have to be able to show a EU ID while using your Interrail Pass (and vice versa) and the fact that Inbound/Outbound conditions only apply to Interrail Passes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

However, though it might seem obvious to those with experience of Interrail/Eurail there is no definitive information on any web site.  EVEN from the Eurail Help, who had previously told me this:

For UK residents as yourself, we have the Eurail Pass.
Although both are very similar in use, a few legally-binding conditions apply differently to each type, like the fact that you have to be able to show a EU ID while using your Interrail Pass (and vice versa) and the fact that Inbound/Outbound conditions only apply to Interrail Passes.

The link I posted earlier is clear. The information from “Eurail Help” you post now is incorrect and has never been correct.