Solved

Use inbound/outbound for transit?

Hi there! I'm currently travelling with a Global Pass and I'm not sure about the inbound/outbound.

Of course I know, that there is one day to get out of my country of residence and the second day to come back again. But now my question is: Can I use one of those days just to pass through? Or am I not allowed to cross the border for a second time?

I live in Germany and I am in Sweden right now. To go on to Austria, I have to pass through Germany (and no, I don't want to pay an extra ticket for that, because it's cheaper to buy one for my day of return. 🙃). I'm just not sure, if I have to pay an extra ticket to cross the border..? 

Thanks a lot for your help! 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 13 May 2022, 01:23

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can go through your country of residence. The mobile pass will just take 1 inbound/outbound journey and let you travel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are you sure @rvdborgt ? On the website it says that passing through your country of residence will use both the inbound and outbound journey in the app.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/what-is-interrail/travel-your-own-country

"Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip"

If the info on the website is wrong it should be updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interesting @AnnaB, in any case, the app does not behave like that. I've just tested that: when adding a journey through my country of residence, the app only uses 1 inbound/outbound journey and I still have 1 left.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AnnaB  i have the same experience as @rvdborgt  :) 

@SandraCo  you could take a Ferry to Poland and catch from Gdansk or Warsaw a Eurocity to Poland.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@seewulf @rvdborgt Then the information on the Interrail website is wrong. Who needs to be contacted to correct the information on the website?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@seewulf @rvdborgt Then the information on the Interrail website is wrong. Who needs to be contacted to correct the information on the website?

The informations are correct as  the 2 Journey´s are aimed for leaving and entering the Country.  

@rvdborgt  and I just use the “glitch” that the mobilePass  doesnt take notice if you leave your Country,enter your country or just transit through it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The informations are correct as  the 2 Journey´s are aimed for leaving and entering the Country.  

@rvdborgt  and I just use the “glitch” that the mobilePass  doesnt take notice if you leave your Country,enter your country or just transit through it. 

I don't follow. The website clearly states: 

"Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip" .

Is this correct or not?

Or is the thing that the app doesn't behave as it should if it would follow the outbound/inbound rule?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I don't follow. The website clearly states: 

"Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip" .

Is this correct or not?

Or is the thing that the app doesn't behave as it should if it would follow the outbound/inbound rule?

Thats the offical rule and still in charge.  

The Railplanner App just doesn´t recognise the rule and take just one of the two Homecountry journey´s when you transit ;) 

The Inbound and Outbund Journey are  not 100% clear. In the example asked above i  could say  i wanna use my Inbound journey from Padborg (Danish/German border) till Passau (the station of Passau is the border between German Rail and Austrian Rail) so i technically wouldn´t use my outbound journey. 

Not everything is cleared final by the rules sometimes it depends how everybody understand the rules. 

I'm relieved now that I am not the only one who doesn't quite understand the rules 😅 So.. as long as the app allows me to activate the ride, I am on the safe side?But maybe I'll better buy a ticket for the border stops, just to be safe.Thanks to you all! ☀️