Solved

which Train Pass

• 3 June 2023
  • 8 replies

As a international visitor which pass do I buy?

looking at travelling Rome Florence  Tuscany Venice Lakes Sorrento and surrounding places of interest so happy to take fast train for long journey but would I need a differnt pSs for local journeys ? 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 3 June 2023, 06:58

View original

8 replies

As a international visitor  to Italy which pass do I buy?

looking at travelling Rome Florence  Tuscany Venice Lakes Sorrento and surrounding places of interest so happy to take fast train for long journey but would I need a different pass  for local journeys ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you are traveling only in Italy, a Eurail One Country Italy can work for you. 

But check also prices of the normal tickets if it cost less than a pass. Keep in mind that on high speed trains you will have to pay 13 EUR for a seat reservation and 3 EUR on Intercity trains.

Local trains in Italy are cheep. High speed trains if you book in advance too. There are two operators for high speed on the samw route Trenitalia and Italo treno. Eurail is only valid at Trenitalia - Frecciarossa.

Thank you so much Angelo

The Eurail pass  is quite expensive so I will check the other suggestions before making my decision 

I would need the Eurail one if I decide to visit Greece I believe but not sure yet wether I would have time for that or leave til another visit 

thank you once again 

If you are traveling only in Italy, a Eurail One Country Italy can work for you. 

But check also prices of the normal tickets if it cost less than a pass. Keep in mind that on high speed trains you will have to pay 13 EUR for a seat reservation and 3 EUR on Intercity trains.

Local trains in Italy are cheep. High speed trains if you book in advance too. There are two operators for high speed on the samw route Trenitalia and Italo treno. Eurail is only valid at Trenitalia - Frecciarossa.

Thank you. This information is most helpful

I need to workout where we are going and then starting looking at next option and your answer will assist enormously  

many thanks Angelo  Susan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would need the Eurail one if I decide to visit Greece

If you want to go to Greece you can buy normal tickets on the ferry, which might be cheaper than the extra cost for a global Eurail pass plus the discounted cost for the ferry.

I would need the Eurail one if I decide to visit Greece

If you want to go to Greece you can buy normal tickets on the ferry, which might be cheaper than the extra cost for a global Eurail pass plus the discounted cost for the ferry.

Thank you AnnaB. I will look into the ferry to Greece

Where is the best place to catch the ferry ? 

Susan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Loads of harbours (Bari, Brindisi, Ancona,...) but from your itinerary Ancona might be the best one (overnight ferry)

Thank you !