Solved

Wrong country of residence

Hello,

Last week i started my interrail trip from Vienna - city of residence - to Stuttgart. I was using one of my inbounds/outbounds and everything was fine so far. Today I tried to book my trains to France and realized that the country of residence, mentioned on my pass is Germany - maybe cause I have German id, but just living here for summer -. Is there any chance to change the county of residence after already activating the pass? Would be really helpful cause I planned Germany as the spot where I will start all my travels.

thanks

icon

Best answer by Nanja 13 July 2021, 14:55

View original

46 replies

@Cengizhan Bektas

Yes, i did it twice! First one was one month ago even i was really clearly i didnt get any feedback yet. 

@Cengizhan Bektas Then I would say that you need to fill in the form again and be very clear about what day you plan to start travelling. Also mention that you have contacted Customer Support earlier.

Yestersay i have send a new request. I also mentioned that i send a request one month ago and that i plan to start my trip really soon. Why is there no opportunity to change the residence inside the app? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yestersay i have send a new request. I also mentioned that i send a request one month ago and that i plan to start my trip really soon. Why is there no opportunity to change the residence inside the app? 

Ok. Then you'll have to wait for Customer Support to get back to you.

I guess that the reason for not letting people change the country of residence is that there would be a bigger risk that people are untruthful about their home country as they want to be able to travel for free during more than 2 days in their own country. 

Ok. Then you'll have to wait for Customer Support to get back to you.

I guess that the reason for not letting people change the country of residence themselves is that there would be a bigger risk that people are untruthful about their home country as they want to be able to travel for free during more than 2 days in their own country. 

Hey again... is there a way to speed up the process? Can u redirect my requeat directly to the customer support. I am free now and cant travel because of this and dont want to waste any time...

Hello! My country of residence is wrong. I am starting my interrail in two weeks. Is it able to change it as fast as possible before that? I have a digital ticket and I haven't activated my pass yet!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello! My country of residence is wrong. I am starting my interrail in two weeks. Is it able to change it as fast as possible before that? I have a digital ticket and I haven't activated my pass yet!

Only Customer Service can assist in such cases (Moderator note: incorrect information - see note below)
https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Moderator note: the country of residence cannot be changed by customer support - you'll need to request a pass exchange.

I have exactly the same issue, being French but residing in the UK. I only put France as my country of residence because when buying the pass it is mentioned that the country of residence as per my passport should be used otherwise the pass would not be valid. My pass isn’t activated yet, and I’ve sent a query through the link shared - but considering the number of cases the mention in the website should definitely be changed! 

Hi,

I emailed customer support about this and they told me I can’t change the country of residence after purchasing the pass. But others were able to change that, so I’m not quite sure what to do about it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I emailed customer support about this and they told me I can’t change the country of residence after purchasing the pass. But others were able to change that, so I’m not quite sure what to do about it. 

We know they can (or at least could), so it seems to be policy and not a technical limitation.

Can you provide proof of residency? In that case, what does customer service say when confronted with the misleading information that the website presents during the checkout? See my comments here:

Hi, I have the same problem and contacted costumer support two weeks ago! I plant to make my first trip tomorrow! Is there any way to get a reply? 😅

Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@lisanne12345

I suggest that you try to log into the request database to see if there is a request logged for your email address. If there is no request for your email address, you need to enter a new request. If you enter a new request, say that you are currently travelling. 

Use this link to come to the request database.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Click "Sign in" in the upper right corner.

Enter your email address and Click " Get a password".

If the system doesn't recognise your email address, then there is no request registered and you need to go back to the start screen and enter a request.

If you get a password, you can then log in and look at the status of your request.

Thank you @AnnaB , for the explanation! I see my request with status ‘Open’ (username = ‘Lisannedeweert2006’). I really hope it will be looked at soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you @AnnaB , for the explanation! I see my request with status ‘Open’ (username = ‘Lisannedeweert2006’). I really hope it will be looked at soon!

@Marion @Nanja Can you help @lisanne12345 ?

Thanks Anna for this log in explanation! I’m also waiting on an answer (request id #196727) and my journey is getting close, so I’ve sent another reply to the feed, I hope someone will respond in time!

@rvdborgt - I definitely got tricked by the sentence highlighted in your other post, forced me to change the country of residency from UK to France, this is so misleading (especially for something that can cost 300€)!

hi 

i have the same problem. I am a citizen of Turkey. But I came to France for a short time. and I registered with interrail with my address in france. but now i can't travel in france and europe because of this. My trip started on July 3rd. and i have 2 month unlimited pass. Even though I sent miles to customer service many times, there was no response.

Thanks

Hello there,
I haven't been able to reach anyone for weeks. I started Interrail on July 2nd. Since I came to France for a short time, I used my address information in France. but normally I am a Turkish citizen and I live in Turkey. For this reason, I cannot travel to France and its neighboring countries. I can only enter and exit France twice. So I want to fix this situation. First of all, instead of buying Interrail again, I have to buy the Eurail pass. and then they should change the passport and country information on my pass with a 15 euro fee. Should this process be like this? but normally I use a 2-month unlimited pass, but since I haven't been able to reach customer service for 1 month, I only have 1 month travel pass left. In this case, should I only buy a 1-month eurail pass for free change? The second question is when will they send my money back. I am traveling and I need money How soon will they send me the money? I'm so sorry my whole trip has been ruined and I can't reach anyone.

Hello,

I have the same problem: I have a French ID card but I live in Belgium. I would like to change my country of residence from France to Belgium. My pass is not activated and it's a mobile pass.

I have send a request few days ago (request number 222424), with the details and my proof of residence in Belgium. But my request have been closed and they say that it's not possible to change my country! It's totally unfair that some people can change their country of residence and other not! I hope that my problem will be solved !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

I have the same problem: I have a French ID card but I live in Belgium. I would like to change my country of residence from France to Belgium. My pass is not activated and it's a mobile pass.

I have send a request few days ago (request number 222424), with the details and my proof of residence in Belgium. But my request have been closed and they say that it's not possible to change my country! It's totally unfair that some people can change their country of residence and other not! I hope that my problem will be solved !

If you get the reply that they will not make a change then you need to make an exchange of your pass. That will cost 15 EUR. Making an exchange is the normal procedure when the country of residence is wrong.

You find information about how to make the exchange in your Interrail account under the order overview. 

Hi, we want to change our country of residence, since we have stated the wrong country in the purchase. We have not activated the ticket yet so it should be possible due to your statement above. But your customer service says that it is not possible. Can you please assist? Many thanks and regards, Elif

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, we want to change our country of residence, since we have stated the wrong country in the purchase. We have not activated the ticket yet so it should be possible due to your statement above. But your customer service says that it is not possible. Can you please assist? Many thanks and regards, Elif

The interrail representatives here have made it clear that the only option they allow for these situations is to exchange a pass for a new one. This can be done with non-activated passes for a fee of €15, details given here https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/ordering-info/refund-exchange-policy

The exception to this being promotional passes sold with no refund/exchange conditions which would be stated in the purchase receipt e-mailed to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Nanja 

When will the misleading text on the “Traveller details” page of the checkout be corrected?

I don’t think it is fair that people who are misled by this text should have to pay extra costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi all, just to clarify: Unfortunately customer support can't update your country of residence after you've purchased the Pass. This can only be done by ordering a new Pass with the correct country of residence and requesting a refund for your old Pass (a Pass exchange).

For more information have a look on this page  → '’adding, removing and activating your mobile pass'’ section → scroll down to '’The information on my mobile pass is wrong, what should I do?'’