Solved

Celebrating 25-Year Wedding Anniversary in 2025 - France and Italy

• 16 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Aloha from Hawaii - Eurail Community, 

My husband and I honeymooned in Europe following our wedding in June 2000. We will be married 25 years next June, and plan to return to Europe, now with our teenage children (they will be 13 and 16 next year).

The first time around, we visited Paris, Rome and Venice.

This time around, Iʻd love to spend more time exploring France via Eurail, and then weʻre doing a Mediterranean Cruise from either Rome or Venice (still researching).

May I please ask for your recommendations on what cities our family should consider visiting as we make our way between Paris and Rome and/or Venice? Any itinerary suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps of note: My husband does have challenges walking great distances, so weʻre really hoping to enjoy the beauty and cuisine of France in a leisurely way, not any vigorous hiking/exploring, if at all possible. :-)

Thank you for your kindness and suggestions. Mahalo, Erica

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 16 February 2024, 09:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can go via Switzerland, via the Côte d’Azur in France or through the French Alps.

Suggestions are always a bit personal of course, but I like smaller cities like Dijon, Nîmes (slightly off course to Rome) and Avignon. Strasbourg I also liked.

An itinerary is a too early to say for next year, especially because of the repairs ongoing on the Fréjus-Modane railway line (closed due to a landslide now), no idea when it will be done. All aforementioned cities in France are frequently served by the High Speed TGV’s from/to Paris.

To help your preparations, best read this:

https://www.seat61.com/european-train-travel.htm

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. Mahalo!

I'd recommend flying or taking the train between Paris and your first French destination to maximize time and try the Lyon and Avignon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'd recommend flying or taking the train between Paris and your first French destination to maximize time and try the Lyon and Avignon.

Paris is in France and flying within France is not really a good idea as there are good connections with high speed trains.