Daily budget

• 29 August 2022
  • 4 replies

As I'm planning my first Interrail, what do you suggest to budget for daily spendings (excluding accomodation)? I'm visiting Western European cities (Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin etc...) and I came to know that many museums and attractions are free, so food is basically the only concern and I'm willing to relay on supermarket food cooked in the hostel kitchen rather than restaurants. I was thinking to budget 30€ per day, but I found many videos telling that they spent a lot less per day excluding eating out.

I'm interested about this topic because I have a budget of 1300€ and I'm wandering if it's possible to visit 7 cities in 21 days instead of the 6 in 18 days I was thinking about (Paris, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna), maybe adding Budapest to the journey. 

What do you think?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In AMS there are NO free museums. It is very easy to check entry-prices on their sites for musea you will want to visit.

In fact, I see youre Italiano: budget same prices as in IT-only real restrts will cost more, food on shops is hardly much difference in about all west-EUR countries and its all €.Except that some countries will have some items always cheaper and others-imported, thought of as luxury, more expensive.

East-Eur is still cheaper, but not much for food in shops (anymore), but for services where wages have a big role. Plus I noted when checking myself for rooms (booking) and seeing what cheapest would be, that prices for hoStelbeds have also gone up an awful lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I don’t know from where you got the information that museums are free, but almost all interesting museums in the places you mentioned are NOT free (except in France if you are <26 and EU citizen).
Paris, Amsterdam and Vienna have also some of the highest fees.
It depends also if you are student or not. In France under 26 is mostly free.

And how many museums you want to see per day? If it is just 1 then OK for sure, but if you go to 3+ then you will for sure need more than 30 euro.
In NL e.g. most (good) museums are around 20 euro…
1300 is not a lot but you could be fine if you stay in the cheapest hostels etc. This year prices increased a lot, but maybe still can work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It may be worth looking at B&B s in many European cities against “Hostel” prices. You might get a private room and bathroom for only a few Euros more - however they rarely do a singles price.

However be aware that many of these offer a minimal breakfast of one croisaant and coffee. Off to the nearest bakery for a grab and go pastry, often in the station.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As I'm planning my first Interrail, what do you suggest to budget for daily spendings (excluding accomodation)? I'm visiting Western European cities (Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin etc...) and I came to know that many museums and attractions are free, so food is basically the only concern and I'm willing to relay on supermarket food cooked in the hostel kitchen rather than restaurants. I was thinking to budget 30€ per day, but I found many videos telling that they spent a lot less per day excluding eating out.

I'm interested about this topic because I have a budget of 1300€ and I'm wandering if it's possible to visit 7 cities in 21 days instead of the 6 in 18 days I was thinking about (Paris, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna), maybe adding Budapest to the journey. 

What do you think?

As you can see from the answers it is difficult to give a simple number for daily spend, but as long as you live to your budget and keep at least 200 euro in an absolute “Must not touch” place, your budget seems reasonable.

The beauty of a Global pass is you can easily adjust your plans if you start to run short of money. and head for home if all else fails.

I assume you have budgeted for reservations on high speed and fees on some cross alps trains, or plan to travel on reservation free trains. 

Enjoy yourself.