Solved

Is it possible to get to Belgrade to Sofia?

• 3 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello, I've been doing research for an upcoming trip for the coming summer and part of my ideal route would include going to Belgrade from Sofia. I've seen some information on a direct train, but I have also seen information saying that the line no longer runs.

Is it possible? And if so, how do I go about getting to Belgrade. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 3 December 2022, 20:36

View original

4 replies

Badge +5

No trains I’m afraid and not likely to be next year. You’ll need to research busses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can do part of it by train, see:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/belgrade-to-sofia-by-train.htm

There are probably also direct buses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In fact getting TO Bgr will put you for the same prob: as ALL INternat trains to there are no more (except from the black mountains=Cerna Gora). Again seat61.com will show ALT routings, but be aware that these cumbersome part train-walk-bus/taxi-other train ways make you loose many hrs and may in the end even cost more as a direct bus ticket. This is only for diehard railfans or those who are so much anti-bus that any expense is warranted for that. Sensible people take it as it is.

BTW-Bgr does not offer that much to see, my advice would be as it is now: skip it. IF Sofia is your destination-take the routing via HU/B.pest-Romania, also detailed again in seat61

Hi, thanks for the help! Sofia is already my destination, it's a 2 month trip and I will be reaching Sofia from Varna on the coast after visiting Bucharest.

Belgrade seemed like a good point throughout my European journey. If Belgrade doesn't offer much, where should I go?

(I should note, I want to go to Sarajevo and Mostar in Bosnia and also go to Croatia)