Solved

planning a trip

Show first post

156 replies

Badge +2

i was just looking on the google map.

Does the train from Brig to Spiez go via Visp?

So maybe we do not need to go from visp to Brig, but directly from Visp to Spiez? or is it only the tunnel one directly from Visp to Spiez?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I assume it is 1h19 or 1h21 because it shows connections between Brig Bahnhofplatz and Spiez, Bahnhof so it includes the walking time from the front of the station to the platform.

If you check from 10:36 to 11:44 there is 1h08 travel time. Every other hour it leaves at xx:34

Use the hourly RE

I travel a bit around the country on the weekends when I can. This is only 2h from my hometown so it's fine :)

Badge +2

it`s really very scenic, we take that one.

You travel a lot, I am assuming.

Badge +2

Brig - Spiez  1h08 - i could not find that one on sbb. 

it`s either 46” IC6 or 1h21” RE?

so which one to take?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do not know Jesenice station but as far as I can see there are 2 platforms and 3 tracks. It will be an easy connection and I'm almost certain that the second train will wait for the Ljubljana train even with 10 min or more delay. The trains are timed for these connections. Don't worry.

For the change in Zweisimmen it's very easy from platform 6 to 5. 90% of the people from Spiez will take the Montreux train. It is a guaranteed conmection. (In an extreme case the next connection would be 1h later)

Visp - Spiez direct is 20 min fully in a tunnel. There are lights in the train ofc so I don't think it would feel too claustrophobic.

But the Visp - Brig - Spiez option is very scenic so I'd rather choose that one. You slowly climb on one side of the Rhone Valley. Here's what it looked like last Saturday (my picture) :

Badge +2

How to find out if the train has a guaranteed connection?

I was having in mind the following connection

1. Ljubljana - Jesenice - Nova Gorica - there is only 8 min in Jesenice
  2. Spiez - Zweisimmen - Montreux - there is only 3 min in Zweisimmen

If we should choose between 

Visp - Spiez  (through the 35 km Lötschberg Tunnel) or

Visp - Birg - Spiez 

what would you reccomend?

Is this tunnel like very claustrophobic?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

International trains often have guaranteed connections. 

Trains in Switzerland often have tight connections but it's usual. They announce the platforms for connecting trains in advance. For example in Zurich main station, all IC trains arrive between xx:20 and xx:30 and then leave between xx:30 and xx:40. You have about 10 min to make your connection, it's a really clever system in my opinion. (Takt-Fahrplan)

A 2-min connection is entirely possible. Often connecting trains are on the same platform so no need to walk down, under the tracks, etc.

In case of 3-5 min delays, the connecting trains very often wait. In case of longer delays simply take the next train (30 min or 1h later in Switzerland)

In case of a bigger delay (1-2h) you should be entitled to compensations and the train company should pay for taxis or even nights in the worst of case. But always talk to staff first.

For other countries trains might be a bit more often delayed, esp. in Germany but you should always be able to take a later train.

Let me know if you've got a specific connection in mind.

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was just checking all the trains connections and sometimes there is like transfer time below 10 minutes.

Do the trains wait for each other? Or what`s happen if the train will be delayed?

Do we have some rights to compensations?

Badge +2

yes,now I got it.

thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So to make things clear :

- the SBB website always shows half-fare prices until you change to full price later on

- the 5.60 CHF is one-way price with half-fare card

- 3.40 CHF or 3.60 CHF are saver tickets tied to a specific connection (half-fare)

To select normal one-way or return tickets you click on any red box. You then add the passengers, select single and return journey (double arrow).

Select Point-to-Point Ticket : valid 13.04 until 5am on 14.04. It'll give you a price of 67.20 CHF (3 x 22.40 CHF).

Everything should work. You're almost there. It should really be easy and straight-forward. I've highlighted the steps

Badge +2

it is qiut interesting.

but nevermind.

let`s what happen in july

thank you again for your help.

Badge +2

now i chose 1 person 13th of april and i got list like that, i know it is one way for partucular train

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it will be the same from Sargans or Chur because you chose one-way tickets + City-Ticket Chur (buses).

You need to click on the double-arrow (return) and deselect the City-Ticket

Anyway you've still got time until July :)

Badge +2

yeah, i know the screeb was fron sargans, but from chur was the same

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nope same prices but you weren't buying the correct tickets. The prices will be the same, no matter your country.

Your screenshot :

- 3 x 11.20 CHF + 1 x 5.60 CHF (child) one-way Sargans-Chur

- the + 22.40 CHF is for buses within Chur (City-Ticket), as follows : 3 x 6 CHF + 1 x 4.40 CHF (child)

Badge +2

i remember about the junior pass, just curiosity to check.

hmmm… the same website, but different prices. maybe because of ip address in dk

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On your screenshot it's a connection between Sargans and Chur one-way (+ bus in Chur), not what you're looking for

Here is what I have (SBB app) :

Do not buy a ticket for the child, he'll have the Junior Card.

EDIT : Here on sbb.ch

Badge +2

Actually I found now the price of 22.40 chf , but only as a supplement as you can see

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok now I understand better.

There were regular double-decker buses but they left service in 2022. 

Be aware that the city train only runs at 13:00 and 16:30 so it limits the time you could spend in Malbun

The Junior Card would cover regular buses in Liechtenstein but not the Sareis chairlift (8.40 CHF for children).

If you intend on doing all the things you mentioned, then buy the Adventure Pass + regular tickets Chur - Sargans.

So about those :

- the SBB app first lists supersaver tickets (tied to a specific connection) at half-price.

- you click on the "%" price and then choose return regular tickets.

Tickets can only be sold 60 days in advance and can't sell out.

Let me know if something isn't clear

Badge +2

I was looking at prices on sbb.ch for the connection between chur and Sargas and to my surprise the prices change very often. I chose the 13th of April after 8 am and for the same connection at 9.08 am the price was few minutes ago 4 chf , the 6.80 chf and now 7 chf. What does it mean? 

I could nor find any day price for return for 22.40 per person.

I got really confused. How does it work? or maybe it is just me doing something wrong?

Badge +2

Maybe I was not clear enough in my questions.

By hop on hop off I mean the extra 2 storey busses which drive throught the city`s sightseeing attractions, they are not part of public transport. So you reckon  they are free in Swiss for someone having Junior card?

The Adventure pass in Liechtenstein cost 25 chf and 17 chf for children older then 6 years. But there is no information if they are free if the kid is having the Swiss junior card, since the question.

The pass cover many thing, but for us the most important are

• free public transport in Liechtenstein - 12 chf
  • free Malbun Mountain Railways up to Sareis - 12 chf
  • free Citytrain Vaduz - 11 chf
  • free “princely moments” in cinema - 10 ch   
  • so for me it is just pure math
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Junior card covers for sure buses in Geneva, Zurich and Liechtenstein.

I did not know the Adventure Pass but it looks a complete waste of money to me (and according to travel forums, blogs).

Buy a bus day pass for 12 CHF, much better.

For what would you have used the Adventure Pass ?

Badge +2

Hi again,

do you know if the Swiss junior card covers hop on hop off busses in Geneva and Zurich and adventure pass in Liechtenstein?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does the pass cover metro in Munich

Metro is never included.

and local trains around Munich?

Yes, they're included.

Badge +2

Hi again,

Does the pass cover metro in Munich and local trains around Munich?