Solved

planning a trip

Badge +2
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 96 replies

Hi, we are a family of 4 adults and one child 6 years old. We just bought passes for 10 days within 2 months. I was trying to find some journeys using the planner, but unfortunately i wasn't very successful. So i have following questions

1. On the 5 July late on the day or on the 6 july very early i wanted to find a connection from Vejle/Kolding in dk to Munich in de with a night express and with sleeping department, so that we would be in munich in the morning on the 6 july. i couldn't find any.

2. Generally when traveling in July during a weekdays is it always worth to make reservations also for trains which don't require one?

3. Monday, the 10 July from Ljubljana in sv to Verona in it in the morning i could find any train connections, only with some flexbus. How to find one?

4. On the 12 July from Verona to Chur in ch in the morning i only found a connection through Zurych but we wanted to take to tirano to take Bernina express or regular train on the route from there to chur. How to do it?

5. On the 14 July we wanted to take the glacier express from Chur to Zermatt, but we only found a train going through Zurych. 

6. On both the glacier express and Bernina express can we take with our passes regular train instead of this with the special names, but traveling the same route? If yes, how to find them? And do we need reservations for the regular trains?

7. On the 18 July in the morning we wanted to take a train from Geneva to Zurych, then make a stopover in Zurych for few hours and then some night train back to dk. Any suggestions how to plan this part of our trip?

Kind regards viking

icon

Best answer by Hektor 14 March 2023, 18:19

View original

156 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The journey via Nova Gorica doesn't work on tickets.oebb.at because there's no reservations possible for any leg of the journey. Be aware that you'll travel in 2nd class that day, there are no 1st class on these regional trains.

For what device would you need an adaptor ? It seems a waste of money. As a Swiss my phone charger has got 2 pins, it is the standard European charger and works everywhere

37,60 CHF is per adult yes but I've found a cheaper and better option for you :

- 22,40 CHF Chur - Sargans return valid all day

- 12 CHF Liechtenstein buses all day ticket (includes buses 12/12E to/from Sargans)

- Junior card valid

You'll be able to buy these tickets 60 days in advance or at Chur train station :)

For travel inside Liechtenstein, use the great public transport system. Here is a map (all lines runs at least twice per hour) :

https://liemobil.li/static/Liniennetz---gross---2023---ohne-Salums---2023-02-cb7c18f0d1c9c111c45fe85f0a79206d.pdf

Let me know if it doesn't work. Left is north, right is south.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For which departure time did you see this? - i was looking at that one at 10 from Ljubljana via Nova Gorica on the 27th March. Just to be sure, whatever is said on the oebb.at so still the passes cover the whole trip from Ljubljana to Verona, right?

Ok, i will buy the adaptor.

37,60 is per person?

I'm not sure where you see that price.

If you're using your pass on the 10:00 connection from Ljubljana, then it's €10 per person for the Frecciarossa reservation between Venezia Mestre and Verona. You can also avoid that by using a regional train:

There are buses leaving from Nova Gorica to Gorizia Centrale at 13:10, 13:22, 13:35, 13:47, 14:00 (travel time 10 min.).

If you can catch the bus at 13:10 or 13:22, then you can still catch the train at 13:43 from Gorizia Centrale and you'll be in Verona 1 hour earlier, also using regional trains only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@rvdborgt The 37,60 CHF was for the Liechtenstein day. The journey Ljubljana - Verona would indeed cost at most 10€ + bus or all reservation-free.

Badge +2

The map works fine, thank you again.

Rvdborgt wrote -No, but 2-pin thin plugs will still fit. For plugs with earth (ground), you'll need an adaptor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For what device would you need an adaptor ? It seems a waste of money. As a Swiss my phone charger has got 2 pins, it is the standard European charger and works everywhere

It just depends on what plugs you have on your devices. E.g. laptops can have a plug with earth and that won't fit in a Swiss power socket. Phones should indeed have a standard 2-pin Europlug that also fits in Swiss sockets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes a computer with earth indeed won't work.

I've also just learnt that Denmark uses Type K plugs along with Europlugs ! We learn new things every day :)

Badge +2

Hi again,

Does the pass cover metro in Munich and local trains around Munich?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does the pass cover metro in Munich

Metro is never included.

and local trains around Munich?

Yes, they're included.

Badge +2

Hi again,

do you know if the Swiss junior card covers hop on hop off busses in Geneva and Zurich and adventure pass in Liechtenstein?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Junior card covers for sure buses in Geneva, Zurich and Liechtenstein.

I did not know the Adventure Pass but it looks a complete waste of money to me (and according to travel forums, blogs).

Buy a bus day pass for 12 CHF, much better.

For what would you have used the Adventure Pass ?

Badge +2

Maybe I was not clear enough in my questions.

By hop on hop off I mean the extra 2 storey busses which drive throught the city`s sightseeing attractions, they are not part of public transport. So you reckon  they are free in Swiss for someone having Junior card?

The Adventure pass in Liechtenstein cost 25 chf and 17 chf for children older then 6 years. But there is no information if they are free if the kid is having the Swiss junior card, since the question.

The pass cover many thing, but for us the most important are

• free public transport in Liechtenstein - 12 chf
  • free Malbun Mountain Railways up to Sareis - 12 chf
  • free Citytrain Vaduz - 11 chf
  • free “princely moments” in cinema - 10 ch   
  • so for me it is just pure math
Badge +2

I was looking at prices on sbb.ch for the connection between chur and Sargas and to my surprise the prices change very often. I chose the 13th of April after 8 am and for the same connection at 9.08 am the price was few minutes ago 4 chf , the 6.80 chf and now 7 chf. What does it mean? 

I could nor find any day price for return for 22.40 per person.

I got really confused. How does it work? or maybe it is just me doing something wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok now I understand better.

There were regular double-decker buses but they left service in 2022. 

Be aware that the city train only runs at 13:00 and 16:30 so it limits the time you could spend in Malbun

The Junior Card would cover regular buses in Liechtenstein but not the Sareis chairlift (8.40 CHF for children).

If you intend on doing all the things you mentioned, then buy the Adventure Pass + regular tickets Chur - Sargans.

So about those :

- the SBB app first lists supersaver tickets (tied to a specific connection) at half-price.

- you click on the "%" price and then choose return regular tickets.

Tickets can only be sold 60 days in advance and can't sell out.

Let me know if something isn't clear

Badge +2

Actually I found now the price of 22.40 chf , but only as a supplement as you can see

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On your screenshot it's a connection between Sargans and Chur one-way (+ bus in Chur), not what you're looking for

Here is what I have (SBB app) :

Do not buy a ticket for the child, he'll have the Junior Card.

EDIT : Here on sbb.ch

Badge +2

i remember about the junior pass, just curiosity to check.

hmmm… the same website, but different prices. maybe because of ip address in dk

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nope same prices but you weren't buying the correct tickets. The prices will be the same, no matter your country.

Your screenshot :

- 3 x 11.20 CHF + 1 x 5.60 CHF (child) one-way Sargans-Chur

- the + 22.40 CHF is for buses within Chur (City-Ticket), as follows : 3 x 6 CHF + 1 x 4.40 CHF (child)

Badge +2

yeah, i know the screeb was fron sargans, but from chur was the same

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it will be the same from Sargans or Chur because you chose one-way tickets + City-Ticket Chur (buses).

You need to click on the double-arrow (return) and deselect the City-Ticket

Anyway you've still got time until July :)

Badge +2

now i chose 1 person 13th of april and i got list like that, i know it is one way for partucular train

Badge +2

it is qiut interesting.

but nevermind.

let`s what happen in july

thank you again for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So to make things clear :

- the SBB website always shows half-fare prices until you change to full price later on

- the 5.60 CHF is one-way price with half-fare card

- 3.40 CHF or 3.60 CHF are saver tickets tied to a specific connection (half-fare)

To select normal one-way or return tickets you click on any red box. You then add the passengers, select single and return journey (double arrow).

Select Point-to-Point Ticket : valid 13.04 until 5am on 14.04. It'll give you a price of 67.20 CHF (3 x 22.40 CHF).

Everything should work. You're almost there. It should really be easy and straight-forward. I've highlighted the steps

Badge +2

yes,now I got it.

thanks again

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was just checking all the trains connections and sometimes there is like transfer time below 10 minutes.

Do the trains wait for each other? Or what`s happen if the train will be delayed?

Do we have some rights to compensations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

International trains often have guaranteed connections. 

Trains in Switzerland often have tight connections but it's usual. They announce the platforms for connecting trains in advance. For example in Zurich main station, all IC trains arrive between xx:20 and xx:30 and then leave between xx:30 and xx:40. You have about 10 min to make your connection, it's a really clever system in my opinion. (Takt-Fahrplan)

A 2-min connection is entirely possible. Often connecting trains are on the same platform so no need to walk down, under the tracks, etc.

In case of 3-5 min delays, the connecting trains very often wait. In case of longer delays simply take the next train (30 min or 1h later in Switzerland)

In case of a bigger delay (1-2h) you should be entitled to compensations and the train company should pay for taxis or even nights in the worst of case. But always talk to staff first.

For other countries trains might be a bit more often delayed, esp. in Germany but you should always be able to take a later train.

Let me know if you've got a specific connection in mind.