Solved

Seat reservations optional

• 9 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi! I am planning to do an Interrail trip for 4 days in May.

I saw that seat reservations are optional on some journeys.

In these cases, is there any risk that the train will be full and I won't be able to board if I don't have a reserved seat?

Thank you for your help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 9 February 2024, 22:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You’re always allowed to board but you might have to stand if the train is extra busy. Shouldn’t be an issue if you board at the departure point.

What are these journeys ? We could give some precise advice.

The journeys would be Frankfurt-Basel (IC60403), Basel-Olten (IC959), Olten-Geneve (IC510), Geneve-Lyon (TER96574).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The first one is the night train coming from Amsterdam. It could be busy but there are plenty of 2nd class carriages. However this train is very often delayed : have at least 1h margin in Basel.

Reservations not needed within Switzerland. Plenty of seats, simply go to train ends (always less busy as people are lazy and board in the middle next to the stairs).

Geneva - Lyon : reservations not possible whether you’ve got a pass or a ticket. Train could get busy but as long as you show up early it’s fine. You have to go through a customs area to access the French tracks : checks are random but allow some time.

Do you have to start the journey at 2am ? Honestly I wouldn’t recommend Frankfurt station at that time. You’ll have a better experience leaving at 6-7am.