Solved

St Malo to Mont Saint Michel Day trip... Help? :)

• 27 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi friends!

I decided to extend my trip in Saint Malo by two days instead of staying overnight in Mont St. Michel.

I’m seeing a few Railplanner options from Gare Saint Malo to Mont Saint Michel but the way back looks pretty meager. Also can’t find the routes on SNCF or DB or Trainline app.

I know the Railplanner is only updated once a month but wondering if i’m missing something or if I just need to call it quits. 

I’d like to go tomorrow 28/10 and I am heading to Lille on 29/10 and it’s surprisingly faster and more direct to go to Lille from St. Malo than Rouen (capital of Normandy and halfway to Lille!). So shocked.

Can anyone please help me figure out if this plan is feasible? I’d really like to do a day trip to visit Normandy and be able to make it back to St Malo for my last night in Bretagne. Thanks in advance! 

Edited to add:

the ones i saved in railplanner are:

10:30 - 12:14  for under 2 hours..

then the returns are basically a 48 min ride at 

13:41 (gives me no time to explore)

or 

18:47 - 22:35 (under 4 hours)
Also open to any other day trips under 2 hours by Eurail :) Thank you!

icon

Best answer by MartinM 27 October 2022, 20:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You compare-and could have thought of it all by yourself: apples and pears, in this case normal TER trains with often very long transfer times, this is FR/SNCF after all and also 2 regions never ever coöperating and the prestigious and extra supplmt TGV hi-speed trains, that also make a giant detour around Paris (which I am to cross tomorrow between 2 TGV).

Exc buses to that mountian in the sea (and I do not think normal creatures are allowed anymore to stay overnite there) are very seasonal. Its region Normandie and it has all its regional buses and trains now reorganised as NoMAD-though you then still have to look for the actual deptmt.

It is never a good choice to start with the app-start with a normal google and omit the sites like omio and rome2r. And you must have noted by now that no bus/train ever is labelled as EUrail (though there is EuroBahn in Germany).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

There is a bus service from Keolis. It costs 25€ for a return ticket. If you are under 26, it will be 20€. Timetable see here https://s3.cloud.actigraph.com/armor/upload/horaires/221005_KEOLIS_BrochureMSM_VF-modifiee-2.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=armor&Expires=1666907999&Signature=%2BYg4LDAh0790HYesSsm%2Bj9e7ibk%3D

I used this bus last October (from Rennes) and it was fine. By train would have been a terrible connection and without staying somewhere nearby it wouldn’t even have been possible (Sunday).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

There is a bus service from Keolis. It costs 25€ for a return ticket. If you are under 26, it will be 20€. Timetable see here https://s3.cloud.actigraph.com/armor/upload/horaires/221005_KEOLIS_BrochureMSM_VF-modifiee-2.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=armor&Expires=1666907999&Signature=%2BYg4LDAh0790HYesSsm%2Bj9e7ibk%3D

I used this bus last October (from Rennes) and it was fine. By train would have been a terrible connection and without staying somewhere nearby it wouldn’t even have been possible (Sunday).

Thank you so so much! This is a wonderful option. Since the trip takes four hours One way since i need to get to Rennes, it looks like it’s best for me to save this trip for another time. I appreciate your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so so much! This is a wonderful option. Since the trip takes four hours One way since i need to get to Rennes, it looks like it’s best for me to save this trip for another time. I appreciate your help!

You missed the fact that there's a direct bus from St Malo.

The PDF doesn't want to load anymore for me, but here's a webpage:

https://keolis-armor.com/fr/KV2-Ligne-Saint-Malo---Mont-Saint-Michel.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yea, I meant the St. Malo route. Price for both are the same. Buses are comfortable and with wifi. As it is not high season anymore bus will likely be almost empty (in October last year there were maybe 10 people in my bus)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You missed the fact that there's a direct bus from St Malo.

The PDF doesn't want to load anymore for me, but here's a webpage:

https://keolis-armor.com/fr/KV2-Ligne-Saint-Malo---Mont-Saint-Michel.html

OMG. How did I miss that?!?! Thank you @rvdborgt and @MartinM !!!

It looks like there’s one tomorrow. I am leaving to Lille in the afternoon. I’m not seeing it on the website or I might be missing it or the translator is not translating what I need… Could you see how long The trip to and back is? I’m trying to see if I can fit it in before I leave to Lille. Thank you!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry didn’t see the message. It takes a whole day. The bus return trip starts at 16.15 to St. Malo.

if you would use from Mont St Michel to Rennes could be better.