Solved

Transfer times Germany

• 25 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hello.  We will be travelling in October.  Wondering if 4 min is enough transfer time in STEINACH            (B ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER), 5 min in ANSBACH and 7 min at STUTTGART HBF station. Ive never been on the train, so Im not sure what it means to transfer from train to train, for example is it another station or across the platform? Or different depending on what city?  Thanks for any information!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 March 2023, 15:41

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is the entire journey?

What is the travel date and departure time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

They would probably be possible but tight at least for someone familiar with those stations, Stuttgart in particular would be a rush as it is a very large station, however German trains do not have the best punctuality so the chances of missing at least one of those entirely would be quite high.

I would be plan for those to be missed and the next train to be the one you would most likely catch, if you are on time and do make the tight connections consider it a bonus.

Badge +1

Hello, 

Our journey is 1.5 months starting in Scotland… too many places to list!  The travel date for the places I listed above will be October 17th, early in the morning - I have not booked a set time yet as it will depend on the transfer time between trains.

Badge +1

Ok, thank you for letting me know it would be tight… I will play it safe and go with a longer transfer time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

"17 October early in the morning” is too little information to say more.

What journey are you making that day? From where to where?

Badge +1

The journey that day will be from Rothenburg Ob Der Tabuer to Lucerne Switzerland.  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are engineering works on the Stuttgart - Zurich railway between 3rd June and 26th October : no trains at all. You'll need to go via Karlsruhe and Basel (or eventually via Munich).

Your journey could look like this :

- Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Steinach (b Rothenburg) 09:05 - 09:20

- Steinach (b Rothenburg) - Ansbach 09:25 - 09:47

- Ansbach - Karlsruhe Hbf 10:07 - 12:53

- Karlsruhe Hbf - Basel SBB 13:11 - 14:55

- Basel SBB - Luzern 15:03 - 16:05

All with perfectly good connections and in case there would always be other trains 30 min-1h later. Karlsruhe - Basel train is often delayed so you might have to take a later train in Basel.

You could do reservations for 4,50€ (Ansbach - Karlsruhe - Basel SBB) but there's no real need on a Tuesday outside summer.

Another longer connection via Munich :

- Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Steinach (b Rothenburg) 09:05 - 09:20

- Steinbach (b Rothenburg) - München Hbf 09:25 - 12:21

- München Hbf - Zürich HB 12:55 - 16:27 EC (optional reservation possible)

- Zürich HB - Luzern 16:35 - 17:20 (or a later train if the EC is delayed)

Let me know for any questions :)

Badge +1

Awesome, thank you! That is great information.  I may have more questions as the date gets closer and my planning becomes more confirmed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes don’t hesitate