What stations are included?

• 31 January 2022
  • 13 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 11 replies

Hi All,

I am travelling around Italy in April using the Eurail Pass.

Is there a list of stations that are covered?

Does the pass have limitations on which places you can stop?

Is it only the major cities it can be used for?

I am planning to visit a small town in the Alps (Chatillon), can i use the pass to get here?

Paul.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You will not find a list of the station that are covered. But you will find on eurail.com Participating Railway Companies | Eurail Railway Partners | Eurail.com a list of all companies that accept the Eurail Pass. 

You can check with the timetable search tool of German Railways Bahn.com for train connections. And than check with the Railplanner App of Eurail if it is in Pass network, but please note, that this tools are not completely. As third check I recommend to visit the website of the company that runs the train.

In your case of Chatillon in Italy you can check the timetable at Trenitalia.com, and yes this area is covered by Eurail. To reach this town, you will take from Turin a regional train running to Aosta/Aoste.

If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask here. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

In Italy there are covered all trains operated from Trenitalia:

- Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, Frecciabianca (10 Euro seat reservation required)

- Intercity and IntercityNotte (3 Euro seat reservation required)

- Regionale and RegionaleVeloce (no seat reservation required)

Chatillon is covered by Eurail / Interrail

Note that Italo-Highspeedtrains are not covered by Eurail/ Interrail

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are 10s of thousands of stations in Europe. You can go to any station that is served by a railway company participating in Eurail.

There are many places called Châtillon but there seems to be only one Châtillon in Italy, in the Aosta valley. Its railway station is Châtillon-Saint-Vincent. It is served by Trenitalia trains so you can use the Eurail pass to get there. For Italian timetables, use the Trenitalia website.

You will not find a list of the station that are covered. But you will find on eurail.com Participating Railway Companies | Eurail Railway Partners | Eurail.com a list of all companies that accept the Eurail Pass. 

You can check with the timetable search tool of German Railways Bahn.com for train connections. And than check with the Railplanner App of Eurail if it is in Pass network, but please note, that this tools are not completely. As third check I recommend to visit the website of the company that runs the train.

In your case of Chatillon in Italy you can check the timetable at Trenitalia.com, and yes this area is covered by Eurail. To reach this town, you will take from Turin a regional train running to Aosta/Aoste.

If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask here. 

@Angelo So if i was travelling from Milan I will take from Milan a regional train running to Aosta/Aoste?

I will be travelling from Rome?

Do you reserve your seat online before going to the station or in the station at the ticket desk?

There are 10s of thousands of stations in Europe. You can go to any station that is served by a railway company participating in Eurail.

There are many places called Châtillon but there seems to be only one Châtillon in Italy, in the Aosta valley. Its railway station is Châtillon-Saint-Vincent. It is served by Trenitalia trains so you can use the Eurail pass to get there. For Italian timetables, use the Trenitalia website.

@rvdborgt Yes I am referring to Châtillon-Saint-Vincent. Thanks for the info!!

I will be travelling there from Rome.

Do I need to reserve my seat before going to the station or at the railway station in Rome?

I.e. can you plan the journey in advance?

Is there an extra reservation cost?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For long-distance trains in Italy, you need to make a reservation. You can do that at any Italian ticket office and costs 10 EUR per person and train for high-speed trains (3 EUR for Intercity trains). For regional trains, a reservation is not needed (and not possible). You can also make reservations online via the Eurail website, which is 12 EUR per person and train (5 EUR for Intercity trains).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Angelo So if i was travelling from Milan I will take from Milan a regional train running to Aosta/Aoste?

Do you reserve your seat online before going to the station or in the station at the ticket desk?

From Rome you can take one of the High Speed Trains “Frecciarossa” to Turin. 10€/EURO Reservation fee, you can book via Eurail.com (+ aditional Eurail.com fee) or at train stations (only 10€/EURO) in Italy or Germany and other countries that can book tickets of Trenitalia or Deutsche Bahn. 

From Turin “Torino Porta Susa” you take one of the direct “Regionale Veloce” trains (approximately one every two hours) to Aosta/Aoste and exit the train in “Chatillon-Saint Vincent”, than you will be at destination. 

Please note, when you get from the Airport of Rome Fiumicino to the City of Rome, you can take the Express Train only with an first class Eurail Pass, but you can take the regional train to Rome in the second class. 

From Rome you can take one of the High Speed Trains “Frecciarossa” to Turin. 10€/EURO Reservation fee, you can book via Eurail.com (+ aditional Eurail.com fee) or at train stations (only 10€/EURO) in Italy or Germany and other countries that can book tickets of Trenitalia or Deutsche Bahn. 

From Turin “Torino Porta Susa” you take one of the direct “Regionale Veloce” trains (approximately one every two hours) to Aosta/Aoste and exit the train in “Chatillon-Saint Vincent”, than you will be at destination. 

Please note, when you get from the Airport of Rome Fiumicino to the City of Rome, you can take the Express Train only with an first class Eurail Pass, but you can take the regional train to Rome in the second class. 

@Angelo Thanks again for all the info.

On the Rail planner App it is not giving me the option to book High Speed Trains “Frecciarossa” to Turin.

It is shown on the timetable on the Trenitalia website but not giving me the option on the Eurail planner App.

Only slower trains are presents.

How do you use the Eurail pass to book High Speed Trains “Frecciarossa”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can book on the Railplanner app when you get to the menu “Seat Reservation”. You can’t book directly true the timetable. 

Or you can book via Eurail.com website. Book your reservations (eurail.com)

From Turin to Chatillon-Saint Vincent you don’t need a reservation.

A question, do you mean Chatillon in Italy, Switzerland or in France? Because there are more places that have this name. 

You can book on the Railplanner app when you get to the menu “Seat Reservation”. You can’t book directly true the timetable. 

Or you can book via Eurail.com website. Book your reservations (eurail.com)

From Turin to Chatillon-Saint Vincent you don’t need a reservation.

A question, do you mean Chatillon in Italy, Switzerland or in France? Because there are more places that have this name. 

Yes, I mean Chatillon in Italy.

As you can see below High Speed train is showing no results.

Maybe because date is too far in advance?

As i tried to book same rout in Feb and it allows me to book high speed train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

-- check rvdborgt answer below ----

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you can see below High Speed train is showing no results.

Maybe because date is too far in advance?

Normally, that should not be too far in advance, but it looks like Italian railways haven't yet sent their complete timetable for April (and after) to the European Timetable Centre. On their own website, I see more trains so I suppose they will send an updated timetable soon.

24 April is still far away, so there's no rush.

Thank you all very much!